Delhi BJP promises to allow multiple discoms, opposes tariff hike
New Delhi: Opposing any further hike in power tariff, Delhi BJP Chief Vijay Goel today promised that multiple discoms will be allowed to supply power if his party wins in assembly polls later this year so that the rates go down drastically.
Addressing a rally at Rohini area in West Delhi, Goel said BJP will launch a "massive" agitation if the rates were increased again.
"A massive agitation will be launched at the Ramlila Maidan if the power tariff is hiked again. We will not allow the rates to go up again," he said speaking at the "Akrosh" rally organised jointly by the BJP and various RWAs.
Goel said allowing multiple power companies will help people choose their supplier which will also help in cutting tariff by at least 30 per cent.
"Introducing portability of electricity connection will help cut the tariff. It will offer the consumer the option to choose from a bouquet of vendors competing against each other," he said. Currently, three separate discoms supply power in Delhi in separate areas.
The BJP chief promised to come out with a detailed plan to reduce and manage the power tariff in Delhi.
Hike in power tariff is likely to become a major issue in the run up to the assembly elections slated to be held in November. AAP`s Arvind Kejriwal had already announced that his party would fight the Delhi Assembly polls focussing mainly on hike in electricity and water tariff.
The power tariff in the city was hiked by 22 per cent in 2011 followed by five per cent hike in February last year. The tariff was hiked by up to two per cent in May last year and again by 26 per cent for domestic consumers in July last year. The tariff was hiked by up to three per cent last month.
The DERC is currently in the process of finalising the tariff for 2013-14. There has been indication that the tariff may go up.
On water issue, Goel said there was no shortage of water in Delhi and that the scarcity has been result of the "mismanagement" of the supply network.
"BJP will bring piped water to every household in Delhi by streamlining the distribution system," he said adding "BJP cadre will uproot the Congress in the next elections with the power of paper, pen and speech."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi