Delhi BJP promises welfare steps for Dalits if voted to power
New Delhi: With an eye on the assembly polls slated for November, Delhi BJP on Wednesday promised to initiate a series of welfare measures for the Dalit community if it comes to power in the national capital.
Accusing Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit of doing nothing for the Dalits, Delhi BJP Chief Vijay Goel said poor families from the community will be provided low cost flats and cooking gas connection if his party is voted to power in the assembly polls.
Goel said manual scavenging will be banned and promotion to deserving scheduled caste candidates in various government departments will be given in a time bound manner. All the vacancies for candidates will also be filled with immediate effect.
At party level, Goel said it will bear expense of books for poor and needy students from the community and even arrange for private tutorial classes for them.
"In case of requirement, BJP will provide books to deserving students starting from class I and even to IAS aspirants. We will even facilitate tutorial classes for them and the cost will be borne by BJP," Goel said.
He said BJP will celebrate birth anniversary of Dr Bhim Rao Ambedkar on April 14 in Burari area in West Delhi where 10,000 people will be having food together. "It is being organised to encourage harmony among various classes."
Top leaders of BJP including Rajnath Singh, Sushma Swaraj, Venkaiah Naidu and Nitin Gadkari are likely to participate in the programme.
Goel also came down hard on Delhi Government for "failing" to initiate any welfare programme for Dalit community in Delhi.
"Delhi Government had made numerous promises to the SC community in the last 14 years but nothing concrete has been done," he said, adding that in almost all departments of Delhi Government posts reserved for SC community have not been filled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past