Delhi BJP seeks judicial enquiry into security situation
New Delhi: Delhi BJP on Tuesday demanded a judicial enquiry to probe the reasons of deteriorating law and order situation of the city and sought capital punishment for those involved in the gangrape of a 23-year-old para medical student.
BJP Pradesh Mahila Morcha and Yuva Morcha would stage a demonstration at Jantar Mantar tomorrow to protest against the alleged rape of the student in moving bus, lack of security to the women and "failed" law and order situation of Delhi.
Three mayors -- Annapurna Mishra, Meera Aggarwal and Savita Gupta -- would sit on a dharna.
"Ever since Congress government under the leadership of Sheila Dikshit came to power, the law and order and quality of life in Delhi has deteriorated," BJP Delhi chief Vijender Gupta told reporters.
He demanded that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh order a judicial commission immediately to look into the reasons of the deteriorating law and order situation.
"This commission should submit its report within six months. Government should immediately take action on the report and provide the right of respectable life to citizens of the capital," Gupta said.
The BJP leader demanded that judicial process in such cases should be over in six months and capital punishment should be awarded to the perpetrators of such crimes.
"The criminals are so fearless that they are killing even policemen. Women are their soft targets. The Supreme Court has also made strong observations in cases of rape, kidnapping of women but there was no effect of the court`s observation on Sheila Dikshit," he said.
Gupta also demanded that Delhi government provide Rs 10 lakh as compensation to the family members of the victim, so that proper treatment can be ensured for her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report