Delhi BJP to come up with plan for Muslims welfare
New Delhi: With the Assembly polls just five months away, the Delhi BJP has decided to come out with a "development agenda" for the Muslims in the city in an effort to woo the community which account for around 12 per cent of the population.
Accusing the Congress of treating Muslims as "vote banks", Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel said his party will soon come out with an action plan for ensuring welfare of the community.
"Our aim is to break stereotype image of Muslim community propagated by the Congress. The Congress has been treating them as vote banks. Muslims have been taken for a ride by the ruling party," he added.
Goel said the party will hold a convention titled "Muslim for Development" on Sunday to focus on the issues related to their socio-economic development in the city.
"The BJP`s agenda for the convention is to discuss and present a specific programme on providing better education and employment opportunities for the community. The party will be presenting a positive action plan in the convention for the community," Goel said.
He said the convention is a part of BJP strategy to focus on specific target groups which have been "neglected completely" in the last 14 years by the Sheila Dikshit-led Congress government.
"Muslims in the city constitute at least 12 per cent of the population. As a community, they have been facing a number of hurdles when it comes to their socio-economic development. The literacy rate among Muslims is much below than the average literacy rate of the city. The BJP feels that it is time to go for course correction," he said.
The convention will be addressed by a number of senior BJP leaders, including former BJP President Nitin Gadkari, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Shahnawaz Hussain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened