Delhi BJP to come up with plan for Muslims welfare
New Delhi: With the Assembly polls just five months away, the Delhi BJP has decided to come out with a "development agenda" for the Muslims in the city in an effort to woo the community which account for around 12 per cent of the population.
Accusing the Congress of treating Muslims as "vote banks", Delhi BJP president Vijay Goel said his party will soon come out with an action plan for ensuring welfare of the community.
"Our aim is to break stereotype image of Muslim community propagated by the Congress. The Congress has been treating them as vote banks. Muslims have been taken for a ride by the ruling party," he added.
Goel said the party will hold a convention titled "Muslim for Development" on Sunday to focus on the issues related to their socio-economic development in the city.
"The BJP`s agenda for the convention is to discuss and present a specific programme on providing better education and employment opportunities for the community. The party will be presenting a positive action plan in the convention for the community," Goel said.
He said the convention is a part of BJP strategy to focus on specific target groups which have been "neglected completely" in the last 14 years by the Sheila Dikshit-led Congress government.
"Muslims in the city constitute at least 12 per cent of the population. As a community, they have been facing a number of hurdles when it comes to their socio-economic development. The literacy rate among Muslims is much below than the average literacy rate of the city. The BJP feels that it is time to go for course correction," he said.
The convention will be addressed by a number of senior BJP leaders, including former BJP President Nitin Gadkari, Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi and Shahnawaz Hussain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?