Delhi blasts accused`s plea for speedy trial rejected

The Delhi High Court has rejected the plea by an accused in the 2005 Delhi serial blasts to speed up his trial, saying all the cases were interrelated and it could not single out his case.

Last Updated: Mar 02, 2011, 21:26 PM IST

New Delhi: The Delhi High Court has rejected the plea by an accused in the 2005 Delhi serial blasts to speed up his trial, saying all the cases were interrelated and it could not single out his case.

Delhi was rocked by serial blasts at Sarojini Nagar, Paharganj and Kalkaji on October 29, 2005, which had left 67 dead and over 225 injured.

The petition by Mohammed Hussain Fazili, named in the Sarojini Nagar blast, was rejected last week by Justice Mukta Gupta.

The court accepted the state counsel`s argument that they were recording evidence in all the three cases registered by the Delhi Police Special Cell.

"Evidence is being recorded at Tis Hzari court here. The matter is taken up regularly on short dates," the counsel said.

Mohammed Hussain Fazili filed his appeal on February 8 through the Delhi High Court Legal Service Authority (DHLSA) advocate Shamila Lamba.

"Fazili is accused only in the Sarojini Nagar blast case. Therefore, he wants his case to be separated from the other two. In his case, only 119 witnesses are to be examined.

"As the court is examining around 324 witnesses, he wanted his case to be separated," said Lamba, adding that till date, only 106 witnesses have been examined.

However, the court said that all the blast cases were interrelated and therefore will be heard at one place.

IANS