Delhi blasts: IM suspect says police has no evidence
A suspected Indian Mujahideen terrorist today claimed before a Delhi court that the police had failed to provide any evidence with regard to his role in the 2008 serial blasts here except disclosure statements of co-accused.
New Delhi: A suspected Indian Mujahideen
terrorist today claimed before a Delhi court that the police
had failed to provide any evidence with regard to his role in
the 2008 serial blasts here except disclosure statements of
"Mumbai police, which had arrested Akbar Ismail Chaudhary,
alleged that he had provided a Maruti Esteem car to the
co-accused allegedly used by them at the time of hacking of a
wi-fi network to send email to media houses. But they could
not recover the said vehicle," Chaudhary`s counsel M S Khan
told Additional Sessions Judge Santosh Snehi Mann.
The Delhi police did not have any evidence to substantiate
their claim that Chaudhary had supplied his elder brother`s
car to Mansoor Asghar Peerbhoy, alleged head of media cell of
Indian Mujahideen, for their use in Mumbai at the time of
sending emails to media houses minutes before the blasts here
on September 13, 2008, Khan said.
The police has not been able to find that car till date
and could not even point out its registration number while the
owner of the said vehicle was still at large, he said.
The role of Chaudhary was disclosed by co-accused Asif
Bashiruddin Sheikh, Mobin Kader Sheikh and, Peerbhoy, all
allegedly belonging to IM`s media cell while in custody of the
Delhi Police as one of their associates.
They allegedly disclosed that Chaudhary had provided them
the car and brought them from Pune to Mumbai in the same
vehicle before the incident.
The disclosure statements were not admissible as evidence
in the court, Khan submitted.
He had been sought to be prosecuted under various
provisions of IPC, Explosive Substances Act and Unlawful
Activities (Prevention) Act.
Chaudhary was arrested by Mumbai police on October 5,
Khan, who concluded his argument with regard to the
alleged role of Chaudhary, sought his discharge from the court
saying there was no evidence to proceed against him.
The counsel is likely to resume tomorrow advancing of
arguments with regard to the alleged role of other accused in
the serial blasts that claimed 26 lives and left 135 injured.
Meanwhile, Jaipur police sought custody of Salman from a
separate court for probing his alleged in Jaipur blasts.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja, however,
refused to pass any order in this regard saying the production
warrant issued by Chief Judicial Magistrate, Jaipur, could be
submitted before Tihar jail authorities here for compliance.
70 people were killed and 186 other injured in the series
of blasts in Jaipur on May 13, 2008.