Delhi: Brothers nabbed with stolen 180 kg silver
New Delhi: Two brothers were arrested here with 180 kg of allegedly stolen silver worth about Rs one crore, police said on Tuesday.
The arrested identified as Ajay Verma and Ravi Verma from Patiala allegedly stole the silver from a shop in Chandni Chowk on July 31 last.
During investigation, CCTV footages showed that the stolen precious metal was taken away in a luxury car with a Punjab registration number.
"We also checked the CCTV footages of toll plaza in Karnal and this led to the arrest of the brothers yesterday," a senior police official said.
Ravi is an MSc degree holder in Information Technology from Punjab Technical University and worked with an IT company at Chandigarh for one year before leaving his job to start a business dealing in gold and silver bars with his father Naresh Verma in Patiala for three years, the official said.
He came to Delhi this February and lived with his elder brother Ajay who was working with a dealer of gold and silver bars.
"Their family was incurring loss in their business. To cover up the loss, the brothers hatched a conspiracy. They got duplicate keys made and stole six silver bars from the shop," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet