Delhi building collapse: BJP slams govt for ignoring Walled City
New Delhi: Delhi BJP has attacked the city government for "failing" to implement the redevelopment plan for the Walled City and held it partly responsible for the collapse of a three-storey building in Bara Hindu Rao in which a father-son duo was killed on Wednesday.
After visiting the site of the building collapse, Delhi BJP President Vijay Goel said that the government had "ignored" the serious issue of strengthening weak buildings, including those in Chandni Chowk.
He also accused the Congress MP from Chandni Chowk and Union Minister Kapil Sibal of "completely ignoring the development of the Walled City".
"There is no point in engaging in a blame game as the Delhi government always tries to shift the blame on to MCD.
"The fact is that because of the peculiar nature, history, legacy and rich cultural heritage of this area, there is need for exhaustive and holistic planning for complete redevelopment," he said.
"The government has ignored the redevelopment of Chandni Chowk, rendering thousands of dilapidated buildings dangerous for the residents, shopkeepers, traders in the area. Even basic civic amenities have not been provided in the Chandni Chowk area," he said.
A 50-year-old building collapsed this morning in North Delhi`s Bara Hindu Rao area, killing a 68-year-old man and his son while leaving a third member of the family injured.
As per the provisions of the Delhi Master Plan-2021, the city government had to extend funds for the redevelopment of the Walled City with MCD supposed to implement the project, Goel said.
"But Congress`s confused decision-making and lack of political will have converted the project into a mess. As soon as MCD started implementing the projects, the Delhi government gave PWD the control of the project. The PWD has done nothing thereafter," he alleged.
"The result of this neglect by Delhi government has been disastrous for people in the area. Ballimaran itself has seen several instances of building collapse, killing many people in July 2007, September 2011, August 2013, and October 2013," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- VIDEO: When helicopter shot came to haunt Team India and skipper MS Dhoni himself