Delhi building collapse: MCD suspends engineer
New Delhi: Cracking the whip three days
after the collapse of buildings in Old Delhi, the Municipal
Corporation of Delhi (MCD) on Friday suspended a Superintending
Engineer and divesting a junior engineer of his charge.
MCD Commissioner K S Mehra ordered the suspension of
Sushil Kumar, the Superintending Engineer of City Zone, with
immediate effect on charges of dereliction of duty and lack of
supervision in connection with the Tuesday night collapse of
two buildings due to illegal construction.
Seven persons, including four women and a child, were
killed in the incident.
Kumar had yesterday relieved himself of his duties from
City Zone without permission of the competent authority, an
MCD spokesperson said.
Mehra also asked the Chief Vigilance Officer to conduct
an inquiry and slap a major penalty on him.
The look-after charge of the post of Executive Engineer
assigned to Saeed Anwar, Assistant Engineer, City Zone has
also been withdrawn with immediate effect, the spokesperson
He said inquiry by the Director of Vigilance into the
house-collapse in Chandni Mahal, was still continuing.
"Keeping in view the nature of inquiry, it may take a few more
days for the report to be completed," he said.
Facing allegations of allowing illegal constructions, the
MCD had on Wednesday ordered a vigilance inquiry into the
building collapse incident to ascertain whether the owner had
connived with civic body officials in construction activities.
Owner Anil was carrying out some construction work at his
building which collapsed due to digging work. The collapse of
his building led to the razing of an adjacent building too.
A senior MCD official had sought to put the ball in
police`s court saying it had informed them about
"dangerous" digging activity being carried out by the owner a
fortnight ago, a charge denied by police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre