Delhi building collapse: Politicians face protests
New Delhi: The site of the building collapse
in Old Delhi saw protests on Wednesday morning by angry locals who
claimed that the nexus between politicians, MCD officials and
police allowed rampant illegal construction in their locality,
even as rescue operations continued.
Chandni Mahal saw women leading sloganeering against the
authorities, alleging that politicians and officials were
"filling their pockets" by allowing the illegal structures to
Two buildings in the locality, which has congested lanes,
collapsed at around 8 pm yesterday due to construction
in one of them, killing seven persons and causing injuries to
at least 25 others. Locals claim that the construction in one
of the buildings that collapsed could be illegal.
"All are hand-in-glove. Police and MCD officials take
money and allow illegal construction. The buildings are very
old and no care is taken," said Abida, a local woman.
Shadra, another woman, said officials turn their eyes
from illegal activities while "poor people like us suffer."
The policemen who came to evict the protesters near the
site to facilitate rescue operations were heckled and shouted
at by the women who asked them not to "dare to remove us".
The protests not withstanding, locals also helped rescue
workers in clearing the debris and look for any survivors in
the concrete rubble. However, the narrow lanes hampered the
pace of the rescue work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt