Delhi Cabinet nod for 15 more BRT stretches
New Delhi: Despite facing severe criticism
over the first Bus Rapid Transport corridor, Delhi Government
on Monday decided to construct 15 such new stretches covering
nearly 390 kilometres of road length across the city.
The approval for the new BRT corridors were given by the
Delhi Cabinet presided over by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
The Cabinet also gave its go-ahead for extension of six
Metro corridors and construction of three new Metro lines
covering a total length of 148.2 kilometres.
The BRT between Ambedkar Nagar to Moolchand had come in
for severe criticism forcing the Government to readjust the
model for the stretch between Moolchand to Delhi Gate.
In another important decision, the Cabinet also approved
a proposal to construct a 40.3 kilometre long stretch for
light rail transit (LRT) system.
The Cabinet was also given a presentation prepared by the
Delhi High Court-appointed task force which favoured
imposition of hefty congestion tax on certain routes to
discourage people from using private vehicles.
The task force also favoured setting up of adequate
number of parking facilities in the city.
A top official said the Cabinet has asked the Transport
Department to prepare concrete plans on how to implement the
He indicated that government may identify certain areas
in the city for introducing the congestion tax to know the
outcome as well as peoples` response.
The official said the task force has suggested several
measures to decongest city as well discourage people from
using private cars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!