Delhi Cabinet nod for 15 more BRT stretches
New Delhi: Despite facing severe criticism
over the first Bus Rapid Transport corridor, Delhi Government
on Monday decided to construct 15 such new stretches covering
nearly 390 kilometres of road length across the city.
The approval for the new BRT corridors were given by the
Delhi Cabinet presided over by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
The Cabinet also gave its go-ahead for extension of six
Metro corridors and construction of three new Metro lines
covering a total length of 148.2 kilometres.
The BRT between Ambedkar Nagar to Moolchand had come in
for severe criticism forcing the Government to readjust the
model for the stretch between Moolchand to Delhi Gate.
In another important decision, the Cabinet also approved
a proposal to construct a 40.3 kilometre long stretch for
light rail transit (LRT) system.
The Cabinet was also given a presentation prepared by the
Delhi High Court-appointed task force which favoured
imposition of hefty congestion tax on certain routes to
discourage people from using private vehicles.
The task force also favoured setting up of adequate
number of parking facilities in the city.
A top official said the Cabinet has asked the Transport
Department to prepare concrete plans on how to implement the
He indicated that government may identify certain areas
in the city for introducing the congestion tax to know the
outcome as well as peoples` response.
The official said the task force has suggested several
measures to decongest city as well discourage people from
using private cars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened