Delhi Cabinet to examine splitting of MCD
New Delhi: Faced with stiff opposition
from within Congress on splitting the MCD, Chief Minister
Sheila Dikshit is likely to discuss with Cabinet tweaking the
original proposal to placate those opposing the move.
There is indication that the government may go for
trifurcation of the MCD instead of splitting it into five
smaller bodies as decided by the Cabinet last month. The
government may also reverse its decision to increase the
number of wards to 408 from current 272.
The indication to review the original decision comes
three days after Dikshit met Congress chief Sonia Gandhi
during which she had strongly pushed for splitting the MCD
ahead of next year`s municipal polls.
The Cabinet is expected to discuss making changes to
the original decision as a cabinet decision can only be
reversed or tweaked by the Cabinet, said officials.
Although Dikshit has been strongly advocating for
splitting the MCD, DPCC president J P Aggarwal and several
other leaders are opposing it tooth and nail saying majority
in the party was not in favour of the proposal.
Sources said government was not going to fully reverse
its original decision but may make some adjustments. They said
the government may go for reserving 50 per cent seats for
women from current 33 per cent even if number of wards is not
Last month, the Cabinet had accepted recommendations
of a high-level committee, headed by Health Minister A K
Walia, which suggested splitting the civic body into five
smaller municipalities. The committee had also suggested
increasing the total number of wards from current 272 to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes