Delhi cabt understood to have firmed up response over MCD
New Delhi: Moving swiftly, the Delhi
Cabinet is understood to have firmed up its response tonight
to the Centre`s proposal to hand over the MCD to it.
The Delhi cabinet met here tonight and discussed
threadbare the report of the three-member committee which has
been asked to examine the proposal of the Union Home Ministry
to hand over the controlling authority of the MCD to the city
Official sources said that the Cabinet finalised the
city government`s response to the proposal which is expected
to be submitted to the Union Home Ministry tomorrow.
They said the city government apparently has some
differences of opinion relating to some of the issues
regarding clarification on division of power between the Lt
Governor and the Chief Minister.
The cabinet meeting which ended late tonight also
decided to request the Centre to redraft the MCD Act of 1958
to clearly demarcate the powers of the Delhi government and
the Lieutenant Governor.
It has also decided to ask the Centre to ensure that
multiplicity of authorities does not exist in the national
The Delhi government had yesterday set up a
three-member committee to examine the proposals and firm up
its response on the transfer of civic body.
The Union Home Ministry has proposed to bring the MCD
under the Delhi government, which has been a long-pending
demand of the ruling Congress in the national capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites