Delhi cabt understood to have firmed up response over MCD
New Delhi: Moving swiftly, the Delhi
Cabinet is understood to have firmed up its response tonight
to the Centre`s proposal to hand over the MCD to it.
The Delhi cabinet met here tonight and discussed
threadbare the report of the three-member committee which has
been asked to examine the proposal of the Union Home Ministry
to hand over the controlling authority of the MCD to the city
Official sources said that the Cabinet finalised the
city government`s response to the proposal which is expected
to be submitted to the Union Home Ministry tomorrow.
They said the city government apparently has some
differences of opinion relating to some of the issues
regarding clarification on division of power between the Lt
Governor and the Chief Minister.
The cabinet meeting which ended late tonight also
decided to request the Centre to redraft the MCD Act of 1958
to clearly demarcate the powers of the Delhi government and
the Lieutenant Governor.
It has also decided to ask the Centre to ensure that
multiplicity of authorities does not exist in the national
The Delhi government had yesterday set up a
three-member committee to examine the proposals and firm up
its response on the transfer of civic body.
The Union Home Ministry has proposed to bring the MCD
under the Delhi government, which has been a long-pending
demand of the ruling Congress in the national capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- FSSAI testing more Maggi; brand ambassadors can be liable: Govt
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi