Delhi celebrates Ram Navami, devout break nine-day fast
at the end of the nine-day Navaratri fast and prayers. The Hindu god is believed to have been born at noon, when festivity peaks.
Temples around the city were decked up with flowers and special prasad of chana (chickpea) and halwa (sweet) was prepared for the devotees.
New Delhi: The capital on Friday celebrated Ram Navami, the birth of Lord Rama, which comes
"Prayers will take place at around noon when Ramji was born. We have decorated the temple with marigold flowers and the prasad is being prepared," Ravindra Nagar, head priest of Birla Mandir, told a news agency.
On each day of Navaratri, fasts are observed and prayer ceremonies organised in homes and in the temples, where devotional songs are sung. Special food, which is pure vegetarian and without the normal table salt, onion or garlic, is eaten on all nine days.
Some people put a small idol of Rama in a cradle, symbolising the significance of the day and offer prayers to it. Community meals are also organised.
"We have organised special prayers at noon followed by a langar (community meal)," said Pooja Bhatia, a homemaker residing in north Delhi`s Model Town area.
Anmol Kumar, a west Delhi resident who had a small idol of baby Rama in a cradle, said that in addition to fasting and praying, the rituals also sometimes involve a celebration of the marriage of Rama and Sita, represented in small idols, during the day.
In many parts of the city, large processions with Rama`s idol are also taken out on Ram Navami, which is celebrated on the ninth day of the Shukla Paksha (moonlit fortnight) of Chaitra, the first month of the Hindu calendar.
The largest celebrations are traditionally held in Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh, which is believed to be the birth place of Lord Rama.
In Old quarters of Delhi, processions are very colourful and lively as people dressed as Lord Rama, Sita and Laxman pass through the main roads amidst showers of rose petals and sprinkling of rose water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand