Delhi civic polls: 2,400 candidates in fray
New Delhi: 2,400 candidates will vie for voters` attention in the capital on Sunday when Delhiites go out to vote for the municipal elections, an exercise tipped as a semi-final ahead of next year`s Assembly polls.
The polls to the 272 wards in the three civic bodies --
East, North and South -- carved out of the existing Municipal
Corporation of Delhi (MCD) will begin at 8 AM and ends at 5:30
PM. The counting of votes will take place on Tuesday.
With campaigning ending at an unusual time of 5:30 AM
today, political parties and candidates, a large chunk of them
Independents, spent a sleepless night wooing voters at the
The municipal polls is seen as crucial for Delhi Chief
Minister Sheila Dikshit and Congress as well as opposition BJP
with leaders believing that it could be an indicator for what
is in store for the Assembly polls which is 18 months away.
BJP, which has 164 councillors in the undivided MCD
against Congress` 67 and BSP`s 17, harps on alleged corruption
by Dikshit government while Congress is targeting the saffron
party on its "inefficient and corrupt" administration in MCD.
The run-up to the polls also saw some embarrassment for
BJP when one of its candidates, a sitting councillor, was
arrested for allegedly murdering a partyman, who was opposed
to him. Councillor Madhav Prasad was granted bail yesterday.
A total of 1.12 crore eligible voters will exercise their
franchise in the polls which include 42.95 lakh voters in
North Delhi Municipal Corporation, 42.67 lakh voters in South
Delhi corporation and 27.16 lakh voters in East Delhi
There are 104 each wards in South and North Corporations
and 64 in the East, of which 138 seats are reserved for women.
South has the highest number of 904 candidates followed by
North (885) and East (634).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'