Delhi civic polls: 2,400 candidates in fray
New Delhi: 2,400 candidates will vie for voters` attention in the capital on Sunday when Delhiites go out to vote for the municipal elections, an exercise tipped as a semi-final ahead of next year`s Assembly polls.
The polls to the 272 wards in the three civic bodies --
East, North and South -- carved out of the existing Municipal
Corporation of Delhi (MCD) will begin at 8 AM and ends at 5:30
PM. The counting of votes will take place on Tuesday.
With campaigning ending at an unusual time of 5:30 AM
today, political parties and candidates, a large chunk of them
Independents, spent a sleepless night wooing voters at the
The municipal polls is seen as crucial for Delhi Chief
Minister Sheila Dikshit and Congress as well as opposition BJP
with leaders believing that it could be an indicator for what
is in store for the Assembly polls which is 18 months away.
BJP, which has 164 councillors in the undivided MCD
against Congress` 67 and BSP`s 17, harps on alleged corruption
by Dikshit government while Congress is targeting the saffron
party on its "inefficient and corrupt" administration in MCD.
The run-up to the polls also saw some embarrassment for
BJP when one of its candidates, a sitting councillor, was
arrested for allegedly murdering a partyman, who was opposed
to him. Councillor Madhav Prasad was granted bail yesterday.
A total of 1.12 crore eligible voters will exercise their
franchise in the polls which include 42.95 lakh voters in
North Delhi Municipal Corporation, 42.67 lakh voters in South
Delhi corporation and 27.16 lakh voters in East Delhi
There are 104 each wards in South and North Corporations
and 64 in the East, of which 138 seats are reserved for women.
South has the highest number of 904 candidates followed by
North (885) and East (634).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed