Delhi civic polls: 2,400 candidates in fray
New Delhi: 2,400 candidates will vie for voters` attention in the capital on Sunday when Delhiites go out to vote for the municipal elections, an exercise tipped as a semi-final ahead of next year`s Assembly polls.
The polls to the 272 wards in the three civic bodies --
East, North and South -- carved out of the existing Municipal
Corporation of Delhi (MCD) will begin at 8 AM and ends at 5:30
PM. The counting of votes will take place on Tuesday.
With campaigning ending at an unusual time of 5:30 AM
today, political parties and candidates, a large chunk of them
Independents, spent a sleepless night wooing voters at the
The municipal polls is seen as crucial for Delhi Chief
Minister Sheila Dikshit and Congress as well as opposition BJP
with leaders believing that it could be an indicator for what
is in store for the Assembly polls which is 18 months away.
BJP, which has 164 councillors in the undivided MCD
against Congress` 67 and BSP`s 17, harps on alleged corruption
by Dikshit government while Congress is targeting the saffron
party on its "inefficient and corrupt" administration in MCD.
The run-up to the polls also saw some embarrassment for
BJP when one of its candidates, a sitting councillor, was
arrested for allegedly murdering a partyman, who was opposed
to him. Councillor Madhav Prasad was granted bail yesterday.
A total of 1.12 crore eligible voters will exercise their
franchise in the polls which include 42.95 lakh voters in
North Delhi Municipal Corporation, 42.67 lakh voters in South
Delhi corporation and 27.16 lakh voters in East Delhi
There are 104 each wards in South and North Corporations
and 64 in the East, of which 138 seats are reserved for women.
South has the highest number of 904 candidates followed by
North (885) and East (634).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow