Delhi CM all praise for people from Bihar
New Delhi: After courting controversy over her comments on migrants earlier, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Sunday praised the contribution of people from Bihar in the building of the national capital.
Stressing the need to dispel misconceptions about Bihar, Dikshit said the state has given great political and spiritual leaders to the world.
"There are misconceptions about Bihar in Delhi but let me say that the state has given personalities like Chanakya, Ashoka and Buddha who have significance not only in India but also in the world.
"Delhi has been made on the shoulders of people who have come here from Bihar", she said at a function to felicitate personalities who have contributed to Maithili culture and language organised by Akhil Bhartiya Maithili Sangh.
She also floored the audience by beginning her speech in halting Maithili, the language spoken in some parts of Bihar and Jharkhand. "Ahan sab thik chae" (Is everyone good here?)," she said to loud cheers from the audience.
"I didn`t know Maithili is such a sweet and beautiful language. I can understand the language now and I will certainly try to learn to speak it," she said.
Urging Parliamentarians to speak in their local language, she said that speaking Maithili in Parliament would help in propagating the language. "Had they been speaking in Maithili in Parliament I and others would have become proficient in the language", she said.
She also said the Maithili-Bhojpuri Academy in Delhi is doing good work but it needs more contribution from everyone who speaks the language.
"There are many people from Bihar and eastern India in Delhi and that`s why we started the academy but we want all of you to contribute more in spreading the beauty and culture of Maithili-Bhojpuri", she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India