Delhi CM briefs Sonia about Kalkaji JJ cluster rehab plan
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Delhi Congress unit head Jai Prakash Agarwal on Wednesday called on party president Sonia Gandhi to apprise her about the rehabilitation plan for slum-dwellers in the Kalkaji area.
Under the said plan, 8,000 slum dwellers in Kalkaji will be provided with flats at their present places of residence by the Delhi Development Authority.
"The Congress president was happy at the initiative taken by Kalkaji MLA Subhash Chopra and the Delhi CM in speeding up the process of rehabilitation of the jhuggi-jhopdi (JJ) clusters of Kalkaji," said a DPCC office bearer.
Chopra had accompanied the CM and Agarwal on the visit to Sonia. "The construction of flats for the JJ clusters will be a continuing process, which will be included in the manifesto of the Congress party," Dikshit said.
"With the completion of these flats, Kalkaji would have been totally rid of JJ clusters and people who were living there would be able to lead decent lives with all civic and other facilities in place.
"Each flat will be jointly held by the husband and wife, as was decided at a DDA meeting," Chopra said.
Each flat will have a bedroom, a living room, kitchen, bathroom, separate toilet and a balcony.
The JJ clusters in Kalkaji were spread over an area of 1,05,900 square metres.
"With the construction of high-rise flats, more area could be recovered for (creating) common facilities for the people," said an official.
There will also be anganwadis, primary health centres and primary and high schools along with parks, places of worships and community centres in the new residential complex.
The rehabilitation project is to be completed in three phases. In the first phase, the residents of 3,000 JJ clusters will be resettled in the high-rise flats. The first phase is to be completed in 36 months at a cost of around Rs 232 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly