Delhi CM briefs Sonia about Kalkaji JJ cluster rehab plan
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Delhi Congress unit head Jai Prakash Agarwal on Wednesday called on party president Sonia Gandhi to apprise her about the rehabilitation plan for slum-dwellers in the Kalkaji area.
Under the said plan, 8,000 slum dwellers in Kalkaji will be provided with flats at their present places of residence by the Delhi Development Authority.
"The Congress president was happy at the initiative taken by Kalkaji MLA Subhash Chopra and the Delhi CM in speeding up the process of rehabilitation of the jhuggi-jhopdi (JJ) clusters of Kalkaji," said a DPCC office bearer.
Chopra had accompanied the CM and Agarwal on the visit to Sonia. "The construction of flats for the JJ clusters will be a continuing process, which will be included in the manifesto of the Congress party," Dikshit said.
"With the completion of these flats, Kalkaji would have been totally rid of JJ clusters and people who were living there would be able to lead decent lives with all civic and other facilities in place.
"Each flat will be jointly held by the husband and wife, as was decided at a DDA meeting," Chopra said.
Each flat will have a bedroom, a living room, kitchen, bathroom, separate toilet and a balcony.
The JJ clusters in Kalkaji were spread over an area of 1,05,900 square metres.
"With the construction of high-rise flats, more area could be recovered for (creating) common facilities for the people," said an official.
There will also be anganwadis, primary health centres and primary and high schools along with parks, places of worships and community centres in the new residential complex.
The rehabilitation project is to be completed in three phases. In the first phase, the residents of 3,000 JJ clusters will be resettled in the high-rise flats. The first phase is to be completed in 36 months at a cost of around Rs 232 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez