Delhi CM promises development in rural areas
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Friday promised to ensure development of rural areas on par with other developed localities in the city.
She said infrastructure development projects in rural areas will be carried out by the rural development board which has been given an annual budget of Rs 200 crore.
Dikshit was speaking after inaugurating a new office of Sub Divisional Magistrate at Tura Mandi area of Najafgarh area in West Delhi.
She said setting up of the new SDM at office will bring the administration closer to people.
She said the city government has initiated the process to regularise extension of village abadi which will benefit lakhs of people.
She said Government has already decided to restrict use of Section 81 of the Land Acquisition Act so that people can construct houses on land meant for agricultural purposes.
As per norms under Section 81 of the Land Acquisition Act, no agricultural land could be used for construction of houses and other purposes. Lifting of the restriction has paved way for building flats on those land.
"The villagers will now be able to utilize their agriculture land for different purposes," she said.
The Chief Minister said there was a "dire need" of extension of Delhi Metro upto Najafgarh.
"Najafgarh can become an educational hub as it is close to Dwarka where city government has commissioned a number of educational institutions," she said.
Listing efforts by her government to improve transport infrastructure, she said an amount of Rs 2,000 crore has been spent on strengthening 674 roads which were taken over by the PWD from municipal corporations.
"The city government spent Rs 2000 crore on strengthening 674 roads with combined length of 800 km. The infrastructural development taken place in Delhi has brought the city among the most developed cities in the world," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say