Delhi CM vows crackdown on Delhi gangrape accused
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Monday promised crackdown on those accused involved in the alleged gangrape of a medical student inside a moving bus on Sunday night.
Dikshit said the license of the private bus operator has been cancelled.
"We will take stern measures to ensure such that incidents aren`t repeated. The government will act tough and those behind the tragic incident will not be spared," she added.
Senior BJP leader VK Malhotra on his part lashed out at the Congress Government over the untoward incident, and questioned as to why no action has been initiated so far.
"Delhi has once again been shamed. It is being repeatedly said now that Delhi has become the rape capital. When we used to talk about providing safety to the feminine gender, then it was said that women here are safe," said Malhotra.
"Sheila Dikshit is the Chief Minister, Sonia Gandhi is there in the Centre, Krishna Tirath is a Minister, there is National Commission, but despite all these cases of rape against the women are on the rise in Delhi. Nothing can be more ashamed than a case that the rape has been done in a moving bus. Why was action not initiated?" he asked.
A 23-year-old student of medicine in Delhi University has been allegedly raped by five men in a moving bus last night and thrown off the moving vehicle in a semi-naked condition near Mahipalpur flyover.
The victim is at the Safdarjung Hospital in critical condition.
The victim along with a male friend had boarded a whiteline private bus at around 11 pm from Munirka in south Delhi to go to Palam, where she lives.
Police said that around five to seven bus crew started misbehaving with the girl a few minutes after she boarded the bus, which was travelling without other passengers.
The victim`s boyfriend tried to prevent the men from molesting her, but the men beat him up and sexually assaulted the girl.
The accused then threw the girl and her boyfriend out of the bus near Mahipalpur in south Delhi`s Vasant Vihar area.
Her friend, who used to work in a software firm, was escorting her home after watching a film at the Select City Walk mall in Saket.
The police said it was not clear yet whether the five assailants were passengers or bus staff.
No arrests have been made so far; the police have seized two buses.
The victim`s friend registered a complaint with the Vasant Vihar police station at around 1.15 am.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof