Delhi Congress men protest in front of Tamil Nadu Bhavan
New Delhi: Scores of Congress workers on Friday held a demonstration in front of Tamil Nadu Bhawan protesting against the "undemocratic" decision of J Jayalalithaa government to release the killers of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
The demonstrators, under the leadership of Delhi Congress President Arvinder Singh, also burned an effigy of Jayalalithaa and courted arrest.
Congress leaders Haroon Yusuf, Ramesh Kumar, Mahabal Mishra and Mukesh Sharma among others participated in the demonstration.
They said the decision to release the killers of Rajiv Gandhi was against the rule of law and the people of the country were agitated against the decision.
They further said political parties should show no leniency in the fight against terrorism and added the Jayalalithaa government`s decision had not only made "fun" of the decision of the Supreme Court but also smacked of "fourth class" politics.
The demonstrators started their march from the Chanakyapuri Police Station to Tamil Nadu Bhawan at 2 PM.
"When police commandos stopped the demonstrators, Arvinder Singh, Haroon Yusuf, Mukesh Sharma, Paramjit Singh Jithi, Tarwinder Singh Marwah and the workers squatted on the road.
The police detained them and took them in the police van to the Chanakyapuri Police Station, said a press statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rights activist Trupti Desai alleges attack by goons in Nashik, hospitalised
- CHSE Odisha +2 Result (CHSE result 2016) Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared shortly. Check chseodisha.nic.in, orissaresults.nic.in
- PM Narendra Modi silent on scams like Manmohan Singh: Arvind Kejriwal
- French Open 2016: Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic roll on, symmetry for Williams sisters
- Premier League: Jose Mourinho all set to take control at Manchester United