Delhi Congress men protest in front of Tamil Nadu Bhavan
New Delhi: Scores of Congress workers on Friday held a demonstration in front of Tamil Nadu Bhawan protesting against the "undemocratic" decision of J Jayalalithaa government to release the killers of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
The demonstrators, under the leadership of Delhi Congress President Arvinder Singh, also burned an effigy of Jayalalithaa and courted arrest.
Congress leaders Haroon Yusuf, Ramesh Kumar, Mahabal Mishra and Mukesh Sharma among others participated in the demonstration.
They said the decision to release the killers of Rajiv Gandhi was against the rule of law and the people of the country were agitated against the decision.
They further said political parties should show no leniency in the fight against terrorism and added the Jayalalithaa government`s decision had not only made "fun" of the decision of the Supreme Court but also smacked of "fourth class" politics.
The demonstrators started their march from the Chanakyapuri Police Station to Tamil Nadu Bhawan at 2 PM.
"When police commandos stopped the demonstrators, Arvinder Singh, Haroon Yusuf, Mukesh Sharma, Paramjit Singh Jithi, Tarwinder Singh Marwah and the workers squatted on the road.
The police detained them and took them in the police van to the Chanakyapuri Police Station, said a press statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!