Delhi cop, female friend found dead in Gurgaon
Gurgaon: An inspector with Delhi Police`s anti-terror wing and his female friend, who worked as a private detective and got recently arrested in a forgery case, were found dead with gunshot injuries in her house on Saturday morning.
Investigators suspect that Geeta Sharma, 45, first shot dead 45-year-old Badrish Dutt with his service revolver and then committed suicide. They were living together for the past one year.
"Both had gunshot injuries," Gurgaon Police Commissioner Alok Mittal told reporters.
The bodies were found in Sharma`s house in R D City in Sector 52 of Gurgaon in the morning. The incident might have happened between 1 AM and 4 AM, investigators said.
Reconstructing the sequence of events, they said both were right-handed and Dutt, who hailed from Uttarakhand, had a gunshot on his left temple while Sharma had bullet wound on her right temple. They also pointed out that Sharma had fallen on Dutt`s body.
"From this, we suspect that Sharma first shot at Dutt and then committed suicide. Further investigations are on," a senior police official said.
Dutt was separated from his family and believed to be in a relationship with Sharma, who was recently arrested in a forgery case and released on bail from Tihar jail after spending about three weeks behind bars.
After joining the Delhi Police in 1991, Dutt was one of the few personnel inducted into the Special Cell in 1994 when the elite unit was formed. Dutt was considered a "master investigator" by his superiors.
Delhi Police sources said a Crime Branch team had arrested Sharma in March following allegations that she had forged letters of the Union Home Ministry.
Sharma remained in jail for 20 days during which Dutt apparently did not visit her. Differences emerged between them after the arrest, the sources said.
The incident came to light after Dutt`s colleague in Special Cell landed up in the house after the inspector did not respond to phone calls. Meanwhile, a friend and a domestic help also reached the spot when they failed to contact him.
The trio then broke open the door and found both Dutt and Sharma lying in a pool of blood, they said. A team of Special Cell personnel and forensic officers visited the spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured