Delhi cops suspended after sting op shows them taking bribe
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Tuesday suspended several of its personnel after they were shown accepting bribes in a sting operation by a private TV news channel.
The policemen shown accepting bribes in the sting have been identified as Inspector Madan Pal, Inspector RS Naruka, Sub-Inspector Anil Kumar, Head Constable Digambar, Giriraj Meena, Sohanveer and Constable Dharamveer.
All those shown accepting bribes have been suspended and we are registering corruption cases against them, police said.
Soon after registering a case in this regard, Delhi Police requested the Union Home Ministry to transfer the case to CBI to ensure a fair probe in the matter.
"Upon a request from Delhi Police, Home Ministry has agreed to transfer the case registered in this regard to CBI," said Rajan Bhagat, Public Relations Officer of Delhi Police.
Delhi Police thanked the channel which conducted the sting operation, for exposing the alleged instances of corruption.
"Delhi Police is against all such misconduct and condemns the same. It has been our sincere effort to weed out the black sheep from the system. We urge all members of society to provide evidence against such black sheep so that... Delhi Police can serve the people better," he said.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal also took note of the sting operation and directed the anti-corruption Branch to investigate the matter.
"I have directed our anti-corruption branch to take cognisance and investigate all cases exposed by the channel," tweeted Kejriwal.
Kejriwal asked the TV channel to provide the copies of the tapes at the earliest.
He also announced that honest policemen would be rewarded as some of the cops shown in the sting operation refused to take bribes.
"We will take strongest possible action against guilty policemen. Will not spare any corrupt. Also, will reward n recognise honest ones (sic)," Kejriwal further tweeted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter