Delhi court acquits man of rape charges
New Delhi: A man has been acquitted of the charges of raping a girl by a Delhi court, which said either no such incident took place or it was "consensual".
Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau acquited Sultanpuri resident Desh Raj of the charges of kidnapping, raping and hurting the 17-year-old girl by giving her poison, saying it does not appear plausible that the accused established physical relations with her at a public place without anybody noticing them.
The court also acquitted Raj`s friend of the charges of abetting the crime.
Giving benefit of doubt to Raj, the judge said that there were contradictions in the testimony of the girl and she was not a "credible and trustworthy" witness and there was no independent witness or medical evidence to support her.
According to police, Raj and the girl were known to each other from the past few years and in August 2011, he took her to an open cabin on the third floor of a sweets shop in Sultanpuri area and allegedly raped her after giving her a cold drink laced with sedatives.
The girl had become unconscious after consuming the drink and when she regained consciousness, she came to know that the was raped by Raj, the police said.
The girl had told police that Raj had promised to marry her due to which she had not told her parents about the incident. But later on, when he refused to marry her, she told her parents and police about it and a case was registered against the accused.
The court, in its order, said the girl was regularly going out with the accused but she did not inform about the incident to her friends or teachers.
"The entire case of prosecution from the very inception had been that the accused had been promising the prosecutrix to marry her but did not keep his promise.
"Further, despite the fact that the prosecutrix had been regularly going with the accused, she admits that she had not informed about to the incident to any of her classmates or teachers in the school, which indicates that either no such incident had taken place or if it had taken place, it was consensual," it said.
During the trial, Raj claimed that he was falsely implicated in the case and he neither took the girl to any room nor raped her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt