Delhi court frames charges against law students for raping minor
New Delhi: A Delhi court has framed gang-rape and kidnapping charges against five law students of Jamia Millia Islamia and put them on trial for allegedly confining and raping a minor girl at their residence last year.
Additional sessions judge Gulshan Kumar fixed the case for recording of prosecution`s evidence on July 12.
The court charged Pulkit Chaudhary, Amandeep Kadian, Sharad Shekhar Tomar, Roopenshu Pratap Singh and Vikas Punia for wrongfully keeping in confinement, abducting a person, gangraping and cheating by personation and common intention under the Indian Penal Code.
The five have also been charged under various sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POSCO).
"That on September 15, 2012 at from servant quarter... all of you in furtherance of your common intention abducted and confined 16-year-old girl and also committed rape upon her and had penetrative sex with her several times while she remained in confinement with you and thereby committed offence punishable under section 363 (kidnapping), 378 (theft) 376 (2) (G) (gang-rape) and 34 (common intention) and 6 and 12 of POCSO Act, 2012 and within my cognisance.
"And, I hereby direct that all the accused be tried for the above offence," the judge said.
The five law students had allegedly gang-raped the girl, who was held in captivity at the South Delhi residence of one of the co-accused, the police had said.
The police had on December 4 last year arrested Pulkit, Amandeep, Sharad, Roopenshu and Vikas after a complaint was lodged at the Defence Colony Police Station here on September 15 by the girl`s parents.
The girl`s parents had told the police that their
daughter, a Class XI student, had not returned home after attending school on September 15 last year.
Initially, a case of kidnapping was registered by the police but when the girl was found after two months on November 27 last year, she deposed that she had accompanied her friend Amit Gautam to his flat where she was held captive and gangraped by all the accused.
The court has also framed charges of cheating by personation against Pulkit.
"Secondly, you Pulkit also impersonated as sub-inspector of police before the prosecutrix... While committing above act and thereby committed offence punishable under section 419 (cheating by personation) of IPC and within my cognisance," the judge said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!