Delhi court frames charges against law students for raping minor
New Delhi: A Delhi court has framed gang-rape and kidnapping charges against five law students of Jamia Millia Islamia and put them on trial for allegedly confining and raping a minor girl at their residence last year.
Additional sessions judge Gulshan Kumar fixed the case for recording of prosecution`s evidence on July 12.
The court charged Pulkit Chaudhary, Amandeep Kadian, Sharad Shekhar Tomar, Roopenshu Pratap Singh and Vikas Punia for wrongfully keeping in confinement, abducting a person, gangraping and cheating by personation and common intention under the Indian Penal Code.
The five have also been charged under various sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POSCO).
"That on September 15, 2012 at from servant quarter... all of you in furtherance of your common intention abducted and confined 16-year-old girl and also committed rape upon her and had penetrative sex with her several times while she remained in confinement with you and thereby committed offence punishable under section 363 (kidnapping), 378 (theft) 376 (2) (G) (gang-rape) and 34 (common intention) and 6 and 12 of POCSO Act, 2012 and within my cognisance.
"And, I hereby direct that all the accused be tried for the above offence," the judge said.
The five law students had allegedly gang-raped the girl, who was held in captivity at the South Delhi residence of one of the co-accused, the police had said.
The police had on December 4 last year arrested Pulkit, Amandeep, Sharad, Roopenshu and Vikas after a complaint was lodged at the Defence Colony Police Station here on September 15 by the girl`s parents.
The girl`s parents had told the police that their
daughter, a Class XI student, had not returned home after attending school on September 15 last year.
Initially, a case of kidnapping was registered by the police but when the girl was found after two months on November 27 last year, she deposed that she had accompanied her friend Amit Gautam to his flat where she was held captive and gangraped by all the accused.
The court has also framed charges of cheating by personation against Pulkit.
"Secondly, you Pulkit also impersonated as sub-inspector of police before the prosecutrix... While committing above act and thereby committed offence punishable under section 419 (cheating by personation) of IPC and within my cognisance," the judge said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'