Delhi: Court gives kidnapper a chance to reform
New Delhi: The prison term of a 40-year-old
man, sentenced to three years in jail for kidnapping a minor
boy, has been cut by a Delhi court to 18 months and set off
against the jail term, he already underwent during his trial
Additional Sessions Judge Mahesh Chander Gupta gave the
reprieve to convict Jaggu Sahu, saying he should be given a
chance to reform himself and that he has suffered the rigour
of trial since 2005.
The sessions court gave the legal succour to Shahu while
upholding his conviction by the magisterial court but halving
the prison term.
"The appellant is not a previous convict. He has been
facing rigours of the trial since 2005 and even during this
period he has not indulged in any criminal activity. He
remained in custody for about 1 and 1/2 years during probe and
the trial of the case and the pendency of appeal.
"I am of considered view that the appellant should be
given a chance for reformation. As such order on sentence of
November 3, 2010 is modified to the extent that the appellant
convict Jaggu Sahu to undergo rigorous imprisonment for a
period of 18 months," the judge said.
The court also said "the period already undergone by the
appellant during the inquiry/investigation/trial of this case
and during the pendency of the appeal shall be set off."
Sahu and his wife were convicted by a magisterial court in
November 2010 for kidnapping a one-and-a-half-year-old boy and
then concealing him in their home. Sahu had come in appeal
against magisterial court`s order, which had also imposed a
fine of Rs 10,000 on him.
Counsel for Sahu had pleaded for reduction in his sentence
saying the convict is a poor labourer and the sole earner in
his family and is not a previous convict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside