Delhi: Court gives kidnapper a chance to reform
New Delhi: The prison term of a 40-year-old
man, sentenced to three years in jail for kidnapping a minor
boy, has been cut by a Delhi court to 18 months and set off
against the jail term, he already underwent during his trial
Additional Sessions Judge Mahesh Chander Gupta gave the
reprieve to convict Jaggu Sahu, saying he should be given a
chance to reform himself and that he has suffered the rigour
of trial since 2005.
The sessions court gave the legal succour to Shahu while
upholding his conviction by the magisterial court but halving
the prison term.
"The appellant is not a previous convict. He has been
facing rigours of the trial since 2005 and even during this
period he has not indulged in any criminal activity. He
remained in custody for about 1 and 1/2 years during probe and
the trial of the case and the pendency of appeal.
"I am of considered view that the appellant should be
given a chance for reformation. As such order on sentence of
November 3, 2010 is modified to the extent that the appellant
convict Jaggu Sahu to undergo rigorous imprisonment for a
period of 18 months," the judge said.
The court also said "the period already undergone by the
appellant during the inquiry/investigation/trial of this case
and during the pendency of the appeal shall be set off."
Sahu and his wife were convicted by a magisterial court in
November 2010 for kidnapping a one-and-a-half-year-old boy and
then concealing him in their home. Sahu had come in appeal
against magisterial court`s order, which had also imposed a
fine of Rs 10,000 on him.
Counsel for Sahu had pleaded for reduction in his sentence
saying the convict is a poor labourer and the sole earner in
his family and is not a previous convict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you