Delhi court orders food, medical care for pregnant women in shelters
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday directed the city government to provide food and medical facilities to homeless pregnant and lactating women residing at shelter homes here.
Justice Rajiv Shakdher also asked the government to file a status report regarding the living conditions of three shelter homes and the medical facilities provided for the pregnant and lactating women.
"Delhi government to file status report regarding the living conditions of Jahangirpuri, Sarai Rohila and Motia Khan shelter homes and also the existing medical facilities there," the order said, seeking the report within three weeks. It posted the matter for March 12.
The court`s direction came on a plea filed by Priya Kale, who resides in Motia Khan shelter home, alleging that she had lost her two-month-old baby due to inhuman conditions in the shelter home.
Seeking the court`s intervention for better living and medical facilities at the shelter homes, Kale said: "The current conditions at permanent shelters in Delhi are wholly inadequate and require substantial and continuous promotion, renovation, and supervision."
The court, meanwhile, also asked the manager of Motia Khan shelter home to provide food to the residents.
"The manager of the shelter home shall ensure adequate provisions for food for the residents which include breakfast, lunch and dinner."
Kale further sought direction for government to compensate her for loss of her child in cold weather because of negligence of the government in providing proper living facilities at shelter homes.
"This is particularly hostile for homeless pregnant and lactating women and their children who are an especially vulnerable group of persons within the homeless community."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!