Delhi court rejects suicide note, acquits husband in dowry case
New Delhi: A Delhi court has absolved
three members of a family including the husband of the victim
of the charge of forcing her to kill herself for not bringing
sufficient dowry, saying it could not be proved that the
suicide note was authored by her.
"The prosecution has failed to get it established and
proved by the experts` opinion that the handwriting in the
alleged suicide note was that of the victim," Additional
Sessions Judge J R Aryan said.
The court absolved husband Ashish Vohra, his mother
Sudesh Vohra and sister Archna Bhasin of the charges of dowry
death and subjecting victim Rosy to cruelty for want of
However, the trial against Vijay Vohra, father of
Ashish, was abated as he died during the proceedings.
The case was transferred to Delhi for trial in 2006 by
the Supreme Court on the plea of the victim`s sister that the
fair judicial proceedings were not possible at Ghaziabad.
Rosy, whose marriage to Ashish was solemnised on April
14, 2003, was allegedly being tortured at her matrimonial home
for not bringing a car and Rs two lakh cash in dowry.
Nearly two years after the marriage, she committed
suicide by hanging herself from the ceiling and a case under
relevant provisions of the IPC and the Dowry Prohibition Act
was lodged by her sister Shikha Sharma.
Police, during the probe, had recovered an alleged
suicide note from her matrimonial home, indicting her husband
and others as culprits.
The court refused to lend credence to the note saying
the prosecution could not prove "beyond reasonable doubt" that
it was she (victim) who had authored it.
It also rejected the testimonies of victim`s sister
and other relative, who had identified her handwriting on the
suicide note, saying "they cannot be relied as they, being
relatives, are interested witnesses."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened