Delhi court remands hawala kingpin to judicial custody
New Delhi: A Delhi court today remanded
to eight days judicial custody Naresh Kumar Jain who was
arrested by Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) for allegedly
financing and transporting of contrabands.
Additional Sessions Judge Sanjiv Jain sent Jain to
jail till December 23 after he was produced by NCB on the
expiry of his custodial remand.
Jain, meanwhile, filed an application questioning the
motive of NCB on the ground that no specific case was made
out against him under the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic
Substances (NDPS) Act.
"In fact, NCB has resorted to proxy investigation in
the case on behalf of Enforcement Directorate (ED) which
cannot invoke the provisions of the Prevention of Money
Laundering Act (PMLA) unless another case is pending against
the accused," the counsel for Jain argued.
Special prosecutor for NCB, Rajesh Manchanda, opposed
the plea saying there were actionable intelligence inputs
against the accused to proceed independently and the probe was
not being conducted at the behest of any other agency.
"The drug syndicate run by Jain has national and
international ramifications. He has been arrested following
the inputs from national and foreign agencies," he said.
The accused, who was to be remanded to judicial
custody today, however, will not be sent to jail as now the
investigators of ED would interrogate him till tomorrow to
trail his alleged hawala transactions.
ED has also lodged a separate case against Jain
under various provisions of PMLA alleging he was heading a
hawala network worth over Rs 5,000 crore.
Jain has been evading appearance before ED since
September when he was booked under Foreign Exchange Management
NCB alleged the accused had financed persons involved
in drug syndicate in India and abroad. He allegedly laundered
money for global terrorist Dawood Ibrahim and financed
The accused, who was arrested on December 6, has been
booked under section 24 and 27A of the NDPS Act, dealing with
financing drugs traffickers in India and outside.
The accused was also arrested in Dubai two years back
following a sting operation by American and European security
agencies but jumped bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head