Delhi court remands hawala kingpin to judicial custody
New Delhi: A Delhi court today remanded
to eight days judicial custody Naresh Kumar Jain who was
arrested by Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) for allegedly
financing and transporting of contrabands.
Additional Sessions Judge Sanjiv Jain sent Jain to
jail till December 23 after he was produced by NCB on the
expiry of his custodial remand.
Jain, meanwhile, filed an application questioning the
motive of NCB on the ground that no specific case was made
out against him under the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic
Substances (NDPS) Act.
"In fact, NCB has resorted to proxy investigation in
the case on behalf of Enforcement Directorate (ED) which
cannot invoke the provisions of the Prevention of Money
Laundering Act (PMLA) unless another case is pending against
the accused," the counsel for Jain argued.
Special prosecutor for NCB, Rajesh Manchanda, opposed
the plea saying there were actionable intelligence inputs
against the accused to proceed independently and the probe was
not being conducted at the behest of any other agency.
"The drug syndicate run by Jain has national and
international ramifications. He has been arrested following
the inputs from national and foreign agencies," he said.
The accused, who was to be remanded to judicial
custody today, however, will not be sent to jail as now the
investigators of ED would interrogate him till tomorrow to
trail his alleged hawala transactions.
ED has also lodged a separate case against Jain
under various provisions of PMLA alleging he was heading a
hawala network worth over Rs 5,000 crore.
Jain has been evading appearance before ED since
September when he was booked under Foreign Exchange Management
NCB alleged the accused had financed persons involved
in drug syndicate in India and abroad. He allegedly laundered
money for global terrorist Dawood Ibrahim and financed
The accused, who was arrested on December 6, has been
booked under section 24 and 27A of the NDPS Act, dealing with
financing drugs traffickers in India and outside.
The accused was also arrested in Dubai two years back
following a sting operation by American and European security
agencies but jumped bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY