Delhi court remands hawala kingpin to judicial custody
New Delhi: A Delhi court today remanded
to eight days judicial custody Naresh Kumar Jain who was
arrested by Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) for allegedly
financing and transporting of contrabands.
Additional Sessions Judge Sanjiv Jain sent Jain to
jail till December 23 after he was produced by NCB on the
expiry of his custodial remand.
Jain, meanwhile, filed an application questioning the
motive of NCB on the ground that no specific case was made
out against him under the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic
Substances (NDPS) Act.
"In fact, NCB has resorted to proxy investigation in
the case on behalf of Enforcement Directorate (ED) which
cannot invoke the provisions of the Prevention of Money
Laundering Act (PMLA) unless another case is pending against
the accused," the counsel for Jain argued.
Special prosecutor for NCB, Rajesh Manchanda, opposed
the plea saying there were actionable intelligence inputs
against the accused to proceed independently and the probe was
not being conducted at the behest of any other agency.
"The drug syndicate run by Jain has national and
international ramifications. He has been arrested following
the inputs from national and foreign agencies," he said.
The accused, who was to be remanded to judicial
custody today, however, will not be sent to jail as now the
investigators of ED would interrogate him till tomorrow to
trail his alleged hawala transactions.
ED has also lodged a separate case against Jain
under various provisions of PMLA alleging he was heading a
hawala network worth over Rs 5,000 crore.
Jain has been evading appearance before ED since
September when he was booked under Foreign Exchange Management
NCB alleged the accused had financed persons involved
in drug syndicate in India and abroad. He allegedly laundered
money for global terrorist Dawood Ibrahim and financed
The accused, who was arrested on December 6, has been
booked under section 24 and 27A of the NDPS Act, dealing with
financing drugs traffickers in India and outside.
The accused was also arrested in Dubai two years back
following a sting operation by American and European security
agencies but jumped bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22