Delhi: Dense fog disrupts rail, air traffic
New Delhi: A blanket of fog enveloped the city Wednesday morning disrupting rail and air traffic even as the mercury plummeted sharply leaving Delhiites shivering. The minimum was recored at 5.6 degree Celsius as compared to yesterday`s minimum of 9.3 degree Celsius.
Fog cover in the city disrupted air, rail and road traffic. Over 35 trains were delayed in the morning due to dense fog in Delhi and parts of North India.
According to a Northern Railway spokesperson, the trains which recorded disruptions due to fog included the Rajdhani Express trains from Patna, Howrah, Mumbai and Bhubaneshwar.
These trains were running over two hours behind schedule while the other mail and express trains were reported to be running four to six hours behind their scheduled time. Flight operations at the IGI Airport were also disrupted with 30 flights delayed and three cancelled.
Two other flights were diverted.
The fog started to descend at the airport in the wee hours due to which the runway visibility dipped below 100 metre and the general visibility to less than 50 metre, an airport official said.
As the runway visibility was less than the required minima for takeoff of 125 metre and 150 metre, flights were unable to take off, he said.
Icy winds blowing across the city have added to the winter chill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers