Delhi drive: 543 commercial vehicles prosecuted
New Delhi: In just two hours, 543 commercial vehicles, mostly trucks, were found flouting traffic rules in the Indian capital and made to cough up a fine of Rs.150,200, Delhi Police said on Wednesday.
The vehicles were prosecuted during a special drive on Tuesday night - trucks are allowed to enter Delhi from other states only after 9.30 p.m.
"Anybody who drives on Delhi roads at night realises how painful the experience is as commercial vehicles do not follow rules," Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Satyendra Garg said on Wednesday.
"About 474 of the vehicles prosecuted were trucks, 25 dumper trucks, 12 cars and 32 two-wheelers, among others," he said.
Of the total prosecutions, 200 were booked for dangerous driving, 27 for drunken driving and 140 for violations like not having a driving license and jumping the red light.
A total of Rs.150,200 was realised from the drivers in fine, Garg said.
"Commercial vehicles must ply on the left lane, but at night when traffic police are not around, these vehicles go all over the road and smaller vehicles, especially two-wheelers, have no place," Garg posted on Delhi traffic police`s Facebook page.
These heavy-duty vehicles are also not supposed to go beyond the speed limit of 40 km per hour and cannot overtake other vehicles, but these rules are just not adhered to, he added.
According to Garg, the drive will help in bringing down accidents around the city.
"We will continue our efforts to control violations by commercial vehicles in order to have less accidents and more discipline on the roads. The city still has a long way to go before it can call its roads safe," posted Garg.
The crackdown on commercial vehicles comes a day after Delhi Traffic Police prosecuted 161 people for drunk driving during a special drive Monday night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?