Delhi earned tag of "rape Capital" after Dec 16 gang-rape: High Court
New Delhi: The "horrendous" crime of December 16 gang-rape and murder case earned Delhi the dubious distinction of being the "rape capital", the Delhi High Court today observed while confirming the death sentence of the convicts.
"When the horrific details of the crime committed on Nirbhaya in a moving bus on the night of 16th December, 2012 came in public domain, it evoked a reaction from the public that was unprecedented.
"From common man to persons in power had only one demand i.E. Justice for the victim who succumbed to the injuries suffered at the hands of the convicts due to their barbaric acts. The crime was horrendous. Delhi earned the title of rape capital," Justice Pratibha Rani, one of the judges of the bench, said.
In a separate but concurring verdict, Justice Rani said safety and security of women became a cause of concern for all after the gang-rape and brutal assault on the young paramedical student.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test