Delhi earned tag of "rape Capital" after Dec 16 gang-rape: High Court
New Delhi: The "horrendous" crime of December 16 gang-rape and murder case earned Delhi the dubious distinction of being the "rape capital", the Delhi High Court today observed while confirming the death sentence of the convicts.
"When the horrific details of the crime committed on Nirbhaya in a moving bus on the night of 16th December, 2012 came in public domain, it evoked a reaction from the public that was unprecedented.
"From common man to persons in power had only one demand i.E. Justice for the victim who succumbed to the injuries suffered at the hands of the convicts due to their barbaric acts. The crime was horrendous. Delhi earned the title of rape capital," Justice Pratibha Rani, one of the judges of the bench, said.
In a separate but concurring verdict, Justice Rani said safety and security of women became a cause of concern for all after the gang-rape and brutal assault on the young paramedical student.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore