Delhi EC slaps notice against Ramdev for Model Code violation
New Delhi: Delhi Election Commission on Tuesday slapped a show cause notice on Ramdev for alleged violation of model code of conduct by allowing political activities in a Yoga congregation in Ramlila Grounds here on Sunday which was addressed by BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
The Election Commission issued the notice to Ramdev and organisers of the Yoga camp after scrutinising the video footage of the event.
"Ramdev and organisers of Yoga Mahotsav have been issued a show cause notice by the Delhi Election commission for using the platform for political activity without prior permission from the authorities," Delhi`s Chief Electoral Officer Vijay Dev told reporters here.
"The video footage of the event has been carefully examined by the officials and the organisers and Ramdev was found to be involved in violation of Model code," he said.
Asked why no notice was served on Modi, who addressed the gathering at the `yoga mahotsav`, Dev said no violation by the BJP leader was observed in the footage.
Modi had shared the dias with Ramdev and some other spiritual leaders and targeted Rahul Gandhi over his invocation of his family`s sacrifices. Extending support to Modi, Ramdev had asked his supporters to help bring a "good leader" with "good intentions" to power.
North District Election officer Mona Sreeniwas told PTI that organisers had sought permission for holding a `Yoga Mahotsav` and had not informed Election Commission that Modi would be attending it.
In his address, Modi had complimented Ramdev for organising the event in which technology was utilised in a big way. The programme was transmitted to 600 districts simultaneously.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir?
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part II
- Why separatist are targeting patriotic residents in Kashmir? Part III
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- Low-cost cancer treatment should be priority: NITI Aayog CEO
- SC orders medical board in abnormal foetus case
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies