Delhi EC slaps notice against Ramdev for Model Code violation
New Delhi: Delhi Election Commission on Tuesday slapped a show cause notice on Ramdev for alleged violation of model code of conduct by allowing political activities in a Yoga congregation in Ramlila Grounds here on Sunday which was addressed by BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
The Election Commission issued the notice to Ramdev and organisers of the Yoga camp after scrutinising the video footage of the event.
"Ramdev and organisers of Yoga Mahotsav have been issued a show cause notice by the Delhi Election commission for using the platform for political activity without prior permission from the authorities," Delhi`s Chief Electoral Officer Vijay Dev told reporters here.
"The video footage of the event has been carefully examined by the officials and the organisers and Ramdev was found to be involved in violation of Model code," he said.
Asked why no notice was served on Modi, who addressed the gathering at the `yoga mahotsav`, Dev said no violation by the BJP leader was observed in the footage.
Modi had shared the dias with Ramdev and some other spiritual leaders and targeted Rahul Gandhi over his invocation of his family`s sacrifices. Extending support to Modi, Ramdev had asked his supporters to help bring a "good leader" with "good intentions" to power.
North District Election officer Mona Sreeniwas told PTI that organisers had sought permission for holding a `Yoga Mahotsav` and had not informed Election Commission that Modi would be attending it.
In his address, Modi had complimented Ramdev for organising the event in which technology was utilised in a big way. The programme was transmitted to 600 districts simultaneously.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced