Delhi EC slaps notice against Ramdev for Model Code violation
New Delhi: Delhi Election Commission on Tuesday slapped a show cause notice on Ramdev for alleged violation of model code of conduct by allowing political activities in a Yoga congregation in Ramlila Grounds here on Sunday which was addressed by BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
The Election Commission issued the notice to Ramdev and organisers of the Yoga camp after scrutinising the video footage of the event.
"Ramdev and organisers of Yoga Mahotsav have been issued a show cause notice by the Delhi Election commission for using the platform for political activity without prior permission from the authorities," Delhi`s Chief Electoral Officer Vijay Dev told reporters here.
"The video footage of the event has been carefully examined by the officials and the organisers and Ramdev was found to be involved in violation of Model code," he said.
Asked why no notice was served on Modi, who addressed the gathering at the `yoga mahotsav`, Dev said no violation by the BJP leader was observed in the footage.
Modi had shared the dias with Ramdev and some other spiritual leaders and targeted Rahul Gandhi over his invocation of his family`s sacrifices. Extending support to Modi, Ramdev had asked his supporters to help bring a "good leader" with "good intentions" to power.
North District Election officer Mona Sreeniwas told PTI that organisers had sought permission for holding a `Yoga Mahotsav` and had not informed Election Commission that Modi would be attending it.
In his address, Modi had complimented Ramdev for organising the event in which technology was utilised in a big way. The programme was transmitted to 600 districts simultaneously.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- VIDEO: Ambidextrous Sri Lankan Kamindu Mendis bowling with both hands
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review