Delhi election: Poll officials hold `Democracy Run` to increase voter turnout
New Delhi: To increase the voter turnout for the upcoming Delhi Assembly polls, a `Democracy Run` was organised on Saturday by the District Election Office (East).
According to election officials, over 2,000 residents and children from east Delhi participated in the run, which was flagged off today morning from Yamuna Sports Complex.
"The event was aimed at spreading awareness among voters that they should know the value of their votes and not consider polling day as just another holiday," said an official.
"Apart from the run, artistes presented cultural programmes, including a `nukkad natak`. A flash mob also performed and sang patriotic songs," added the official.
Winners of the run were given cash prizes while senior citizens were presented with commendation letters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video