Delhi fears dengue, 600 cases and counting
New Delhi: With more than 600 dengue cases reported in Delhi so far, the residents in this Congress-ruled state are in a state of panic and seeking urgent medical advice to save themselves from the fast spreading vector-borne infection.
The death of legendary filmmaker Yash Chopra due to dengue combined with the report of the Deputy Director of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) falling victim to it has further left many Delhiites panicky.
AIIMS Deputy Director Vineet Choudhary is currently undergoing treatment. However, with a large number of fresh dengue case being reported every day, a typical blame-game between the state and local bodies has also begun with the two refusing to take responsibility for the situation.
When asked to comment on measures being taken, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit shifted the question to the Municipal Corporation of Delhi. "Please ask the MCD," she replied.
Resident doctors in many government and private hospitals have reported a sharp rise in calls from patients suffering from suspected or confirmed dengue infection, seeking admission to the hospital.
Reacting to the situation, Delhi Health Minister AK Walia said, "I would request the residents of Delhi to take care and precaution. Don`t let water stagnate and sprinkle diesel or kerosene on it if there is any. We have to get together and take these precautions."
As per reports, the number of dengue patients has doubled in the year 2012. On Monday, 33 new cases of the vector-borne infection were reported, taking the total number of those afflicted to 682.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?