Delhi first state to have children`s courts
New Delhi: Around 450 cases have been registered in the 11 children’s courts in the national capital since July when they became functional in Delhi, the first state to open such facilities for the speedy trial of crime against children.
The initiative to open children’s courts was taken by the Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR), which approached the Delhi High Court citing law that guarantees the
setting up of children courts.
"The main objective of having such courts is to provide speedy justice, relief and care to the children who are victims of criminal offence and expeditious disposal of such
cases," DCPCR secretary XK Mehto told a news agency.
"So far 450 cases where minors are victims have landed in children`s courts which have started hearing them so that a child does not suffer due to delay in judicial process," he
With this, he said, Delhi has become the first state in the country to have functional children`s courts.
The high court had in 2010 designated 11 children`s courts in all the 11 districts of the national capital, he said, adding that children`s court and juvenile courts were
not the same.
While juvenile court is a tribunal having special authority to try and pass judgements for crimes committed by children or adolescents, children`s court deals with cases
where a child has suffered due to any form of violence or crime, he said.
The biggest issue of identifying cases where children are victims of criminal offence and segregate them has been addressed and now all such cases are being automatically
transferred to children`s courts, Mehto said.
"We are happy that the courts have become functional. However, the DCPCR`s work doesn`t end here," he said.
The other issue which still needs to be addressed is the appointment of special public prosecutor.
Mehto said the Department of Women and Child Development has written to the Principal Secretary of Department of Home requesting them to appoint the special prosecutor "urgently" for the smooth functioning of the children`s courts.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!