Delhi food bank to check wastage
New Delhi: To check food wastage at wedding
receptions, parties and other social functions, Delhi
government is working on an ambitious proposal to set up food
banks -- having cooked as well as uncooked food -- for
distribution among the hungry and poor people in the city.
The scheme, to be introduced as a pilot project, is being
modelled on the lines of food banks in Chicago in the US where
community groups run them to feed hungry people by collecting
excess food from hotels, wedding reception and through
voluntary donations from individuals as well as various
The proposal to set up food bank in the city was first
mooted by technocrat Sam Pitroda during a meeting he had with
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit in June this year.
The basic idea of setting up food bank is to ensure that
excess food at various social functions does not go waste.
Pitroda is a member of the board of World Food Bank which
supports a chain of NGOs in 21 countries which in total feeds
around 41 million people every year.
As per the proposal, the food banks in the city will be
run by NGOs and people will be asked to donate food to these
food banks voluntarily to feed the hungry.
Pitroda`s proposal was enthusiastically agreed to by the
city government as Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, following a
lavish wedding of a son of a city politician, expressed
concern over wastage of food at marriage receptions and asked
Congressmen to hold such functions in a "simple" manner.
"Everyday a lot of food goes waste at various parties,
functions and marriage receptions.
"We can directly collect the excess food and distribute it
among the hungry people. This is the broad idea," a top
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Bihar polls: Alert sounded ahead of PM Modi's rallies in Bihar
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook