Delhi food poisoning: Man dies; 14 cases registered, 17 arrested
New Delhi: A 58-year-old MCD employee, who
was admitted in a hospital after consuming articles made of
contaminated buck wheat along with around 250 others, died
here on Wednesday even as police arrested 17 people, including one of
the main suppliers.
A total of 14 cases were registered in east and
north-east districts in connection with the incident which was
reported yesterday from M S Park, Welcome, Nand Nagri, Jyoti
Nagar (North-East Delhi), Krishna Nagar, Farsh Bazar,
Shakarpur, Madhu Vihar, Mandawli, Kalyanpuri and Mayur Vihar.
Prabu Lal, a resident of Trilokpuri, who was admitted
with the Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital in east Delhi after he
complained of diarrhoea and dizziness died today morning,
police said. A case was registered in this regard.
However, Additional Medical Superintendent of LBS
Hospital Dr Amita Saxena, said the death of Lal, who worked
with the MCD, was not due to consumption of buck wheat.
"He was admitted with complaints of dizziness and
uncontrollable blood pressure. He had been undergoing
treatment for heart disease and hypertension. He died because
of uncontrolled BP," she said, adding that the death was not
related to consumption of buck wheat.
A senior police official said they have arrested 11
shopkeepers in North-East Delhi and six in east Delhi. Ten
cases have been registered in East Delhi while four FIRs have
been lodged in north-east Delhi.
The arrested persons in north-east Delhi have been
identified as Bajranglal Jain, Tarun Kumar, Azad Nagar, Lokesh
Singh, Haridutt Sharma (MS Park), Vishnu Garg, Satya Narayan
(Welcome), Ankur, Utkarsh, Nand Kishore, Raj Kumar (Nandnagri)
and Jagannath (Jyoti Nagar).
In east Delhi, three cases have been registered in
Krishna Nagar, two in Shakarpur and one each in Farsh Bazar,
Madhu Vihar, Mandawli, Kalyanpuri and Mayur Vihar.
Two persons were arrested from Kalyanpuri and three
from Mayur Vihar while one of the main suppliers of the
article was apprehended from Farsh Bazar. The main supplier
has been identified as Murali Lal.
"There are other suppliers also. Efforts are on to nab
them," the official said.
It all started at 7 am yesterday when patients
complaining of vomiting, stomach ache, diarrhoea, and
dizziness started pouring in at different hospitals including
Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital, Guru Teg Bahadur Hospital and Dr
"Nandu Masala Mill in Mandoli is found to be the
manufacturer of the kuttu flour (buck wheat) consumed by the
victims," the official said.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit promised strict punitive
action against those involved in production and sale of
contaminated buck wheat.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Deal reached in Ireland to form minority government: Party
- Venkaiah Naidu, Siddaramaiah flag off south India's first underground Metro
- Terror attack foiled in Saudi Arabia
- US puts Germany, China on watchlist for economic surpluses
- Heatwave grips east, central and peninsular India; many dead in Assam, Arunachal Pradesh due to cyclone, hailstorm