Delhi gang-rape: 6th accused sent to 12-day judicial custody
New Delhi: One of the six accused in December 16 gang-rape of a 23-year-old paramedical student, who died on Saturday, was remanded in judicial custody for 12 days by a Delhi court.
Akshay Singh alias Thakur, who was the last one to be arrested in the case, was produced before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Lokesh Kumar Sharma after expiry of his day-long police custody.
"He (Akshay) is remanded to judicial custody. Let he be produced on January 9," the court said after the police did not seek his further custody.
Akshay had been remanded in police custody yesterday for a day to recover the remaining case property and clothes which he and other arrested five co-accused were wearing while allegedly gang-raping and brutally assaulting the victim in a moving bus here on the fateful night.
After the day-long custody, the police did not seek his further remand as they recovered the articles, which had not been recovered earlier.
The investigating officer in the case told the court that they have seized the clothes of the accused worn on the night of incident and also the mobile of the girl and ATM card of her male friend and other valuables at the instance of accused Akshay.
It also said the victim`s male friend, a 28-year-old software engineer had identified the valuables, which were robbed from them after the incident.
The police told the court that the boy had even identified the ring, which his female friend was wearing on that night.
Akshay was arrested on December 21 and underwent test identification parade (TIP) on December 26, during which the victim`s male friend had also identified him as one of the persons involved in the incident.
Besides him, the others arrested in the gang-rape case -- Ram Singh, Mukesh, Vinay Sharma and Pawan Gupta -- are in judicial custody till January 6.
All the five accused are facing charges under sections 307 (attempt to murder), 365 (kidnapping or abducting), 376 (2)(g) (gang rape), 377 (unnatural offences), 394 (hurting in committing robbery) and 34 (common intention) of the IPC.
The proceedings relating to the sixth accused are being undertaken separately before the Juvenile Justice Board as he is a minor.
Both the victims, the girl and her male friend, who had boarded the chartered bus with tinted glass windows from Munirka here to Palam around 9.45 PM on December 16, were assaulted with an iron rod by the men after the two resisted before they were dumped on the road side near Mahipalpur flyover in South Delhi, police had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door