Delhi gang-rape accused beaten up to prevent sitting for IAF exam
New Delhi: Vinay Sharma, one of the six accused in the December 16 Delhi gang-rape case, was on Thursday evening beaten up by the Tihar jail inmates and also allegedly by security officials.
Reports, Friday, said that Sharma sustained serious injuries and his right hand was broken.
He was then rushed to GB Pant Hospital for treatment.
Speaking to reporters today, Sharma’s lawyer AK Singh alleged that his client was beaten up to prevent him from appearing in an interview for the post of a clerk in Indian Air Force for which he had even sought court’s permission.
The incident took place hours after Sharma’s lawyer complained to the fast track court that his clients were being mistreated by the Tihar Jail inmates and accused the security officials of not providing adequate security to them.
Singh told the fast track court that Sharma and other co- accused Akshay Thakur were receiving life threats from the guards at Tihar Jail where they are lodged.
Akshay Thakur told the court of Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna that the guards posted in the ward routinely passed abusive remarks.
"Whenever the duty changes, the sentries exchange lewd and abusive remarks about us and say that we should be killed. They have threatened to kill me several times," Thakur told the court.
The court then asked Thakur`s counsel to file a written complaint in this regard.
An interim bail application was also submitted on Sharma`s behalf to let him appear for an interview for the post of a clerk in Indian Air Force.
The examination is to be held on April 7 in Subroto Park. A third application sought court direction to the jail superintendent and authorities to "prevent other lawyers" from meeting Sharma and Thakur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie