Delhi gang-rape accused beaten up to prevent sitting for IAF exam
New Delhi: Vinay Sharma, one of the six accused in the December 16 Delhi gang-rape case, was on Thursday evening beaten up by the Tihar jail inmates and also allegedly by security officials.
Reports, Friday, said that Sharma sustained serious injuries and his right hand was broken.
He was then rushed to GB Pant Hospital for treatment.
Speaking to reporters today, Sharma’s lawyer AK Singh alleged that his client was beaten up to prevent him from appearing in an interview for the post of a clerk in Indian Air Force for which he had even sought court’s permission.
The incident took place hours after Sharma’s lawyer complained to the fast track court that his clients were being mistreated by the Tihar Jail inmates and accused the security officials of not providing adequate security to them.
Singh told the fast track court that Sharma and other co- accused Akshay Thakur were receiving life threats from the guards at Tihar Jail where they are lodged.
Akshay Thakur told the court of Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna that the guards posted in the ward routinely passed abusive remarks.
"Whenever the duty changes, the sentries exchange lewd and abusive remarks about us and say that we should be killed. They have threatened to kill me several times," Thakur told the court.
The court then asked Thakur`s counsel to file a written complaint in this regard.
An interim bail application was also submitted on Sharma`s behalf to let him appear for an interview for the post of a clerk in Indian Air Force.
The examination is to be held on April 7 in Subroto Park. A third application sought court direction to the jail superintendent and authorities to "prevent other lawyers" from meeting Sharma and Thakur.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'