Delhi gang-rape accused shifted to high-security cells in Tihar Jail
New Delhi: The authorities at Tihar Jail in Delhi on Saturday shifted five of the six men, who were arrested for the gang-rape of a 23-year-old student in a moving bus, to a high-security part.
The move came after the victim died at a hospital in Singapore early this morning.
Earlier also, the main accused of the heinous incident -- Ram Singh -- was beaten up by his co-inmates at Tihar Central Jail. Their shifting is to prevent an attack from fellow inmates. The men are now being kept in cells with special locks, reported NDTV.
The sixth person arrested in the case is a minor and is at a juvenile home.
The unnamed and unidentified gang-rape victim who became the face of courage against savage odds died in a Singapore hospital on Saturday, leaving all of India stunned and shaken with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and President Pranab Mukherjee echoing millions in saying her death should not be in vain.
In the dying days of the year, the young physiotherapy intern lost her battle for life far away from home in a Singapore hospital - 13 days after a trip to a south Delhi mall to see a film with a friend ended in her being brutally tortured and raped by six men in a moving bus.
She was left, stripped and bloody, virtually for dead on that cold December 16 night, so grievously injured that her intestines had to be taken out. Now she is dead.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone