Delhi gang-rape: Accused to write university exam from jail
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday directed the officials concerned of Delhi University, IGNOU and Tihar Jail to make arrangements for December 16 gang-rape accused Vinay Sharma to write his BA first year exams from prison premises.
The court`s direction came while dismissing his plea for interim bail to write his first year BA (Programme) examination to be conducted by School of Open Learning, University of Delhi scheduled from June 19 to June 26.
"...Notice be issued to the concerned officer of Indira Gandhi National Open University, concerned officer of School of Open Learning, Delhi University and Superintendent, Tihar Jail for making necessary arrangements for conducting examination of accused (Vinay) at IGNOU centre at Tihar Jail," vacation judge and Additional District Judge Neelam Singh said adding, "bail application is hereby dismissed".
Yesterday, a vacation judge at Patiala House Court had refused to hear Vinay`s plea, saying it had "no jurisdiction" and had asked him to move the concerned court at Saket.
Advocate A P Singh, appearing for Vinay, informed the court that though he missed his first paper scheduled on June 19, the police can still make arrangements for him to write it in future if they take permission from the concerned university.
Special Public Prosecutor Rajiv Mohan opposed the one month interim bail plea of Vinay, saying there is an IGNOU Centre at Tihar jail and directions be given to the concerned officer of IGNOU and Delhi University along with Tihar jail Superintendent that the examination of the accused be conducted in prison.
He submitted that the trial is at the fag end and there is every likelihood that Vinay may flee from justice.
Mohan also said if Vinay is allowed to go out to write his examination in judicial custody, a huge amount of security personnel will have to be deployed as he may be attacked due to "social sentiments attached with this case" and "so we can`t take any risk".
The prosecutor also said the expenses of security will have to be borne by Vinay who cannot afford it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed