Delhi gang-rape accused’s family lives in fear
Aurangabad: Suicide by the main accused in the Delhi gang-rape case has created fear in the minds of the family of another accused Akshay Thakur, who they apprehend, will meet the same fate.
"After learning of the suicide by Ram Singh I am terrified that my son will meet the same fate," Leelawati Devi, Thakur`s mother, told a news agency here today.
Akshay Thakur, the fifth accused in the gang-rape of a paramedic in a moving bus in Delhi, was arrested by police on December 22 last year from his home at Lahankarma village in Aurangabad district, about 150 km from capital Patna, where he was hiding.
His elder brother Abhay Singh said the family has not been able to talk to Akshay directly since his arrest.
"Ram Singh`s advocate updates us over phone about his condition... The family members are planning to go to Delhi after Holi to meet Akshay," he said.
His tearful wife Puneeta Devi blames Ram Singh for the incident and rues her husband`s venturing out of the village to earn his livelihood.
His one-and-a-half year old son Amit often asks for him, while his father Saryu Singh rues his fate. "We were a happy family but the incident (gangrape) has destroyed us," he said.
The family is facing virtual isolation in the village with none of its residents willing to talk about him or his family.
"If somebody comes from outside and asks to be shown the home of Akshay Thakur, we feign ignorance," said a villager.
The village has drawn a bad name and could have a harmful affect for its young brides and grooms, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video