Delhi gang-rape case: India Gate marred with violence, hooligans hijack protests
New Delhi: Hooligans and some political elements on Sunday hijacked the peaceful protests in the Capital over the gang-rape of a young girl resulting in violence and attacks against public property and police which retaliated with teargas and water cannons that led to injuries to persons on both sides.
Police said one additional DCP, an ACP and a constable were seriously injured in the violence as protests at the Central Vista entered the third day prompting clamping of prohibitory orders under Section 144 of CrPC in New Delhi district banning the assembly of four or more persons, The Vista is the 3-km broad avenue from India Gate that leads to Raisina hill where the PMO, Rastrapati Bhawan and Home Ministry among other offices are located.
The constable identified as Subash Tomar was admitted to RML hospital and reported to be in a critical condition, Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said. Around 100 protesters and some media personnel were also injured in the violence, police said.
Police also resorted to lathicharge and lobbed around 150 teargas shells to disperse the protesters.
Special Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Dharmendra Kumar blamed "hooligans" for the violence during protests against the gangrape of 23- year-old girl in a moving bus last Sunday night and said unruly elements have "hijacked" peaceful demonstrations.
Delhi Police in its report to Union Home Ministry said that some "vested interests" had joined the protesters and were instigating violence.
Protesters led by yoga guru Ramdev and former Army chief VK Singh clashed with police at Jantar Mantar, this afternoon when they were prevented from marching towards India Gate.
Aam Aadmi Party`s Arvind Kejriwal and Manish Sisodia sat on a dharna near Hyderabad House on Ashoka Road, close to India Gate. The youth outfit of BJP also took part in the protests.
Dharmendra Kumar disclosed that a former Chief Justice of India will constitute the Commission of Inquiry which will go into the gangrape incident, lapses by police and measures to be taken to ensure safety of women in Delhi and other parts of the country.
The girl was again put on ventilator after doctors at Safdarjung hospital subjected her to various tests as her condition continued to be critical.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video