Delhi gang-rape case: India Gate marred with violence, hooligans hijack protests
New Delhi: Hooligans and some political elements on Sunday hijacked the peaceful protests in the Capital over the gang-rape of a young girl resulting in violence and attacks against public property and police which retaliated with teargas and water cannons that led to injuries to persons on both sides.
Police said one additional DCP, an ACP and a constable were seriously injured in the violence as protests at the Central Vista entered the third day prompting clamping of prohibitory orders under Section 144 of CrPC in New Delhi district banning the assembly of four or more persons, The Vista is the 3-km broad avenue from India Gate that leads to Raisina hill where the PMO, Rastrapati Bhawan and Home Ministry among other offices are located.
The constable identified as Subash Tomar was admitted to RML hospital and reported to be in a critical condition, Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar said. Around 100 protesters and some media personnel were also injured in the violence, police said.
Police also resorted to lathicharge and lobbed around 150 teargas shells to disperse the protesters.
Special Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Dharmendra Kumar blamed "hooligans" for the violence during protests against the gangrape of 23- year-old girl in a moving bus last Sunday night and said unruly elements have "hijacked" peaceful demonstrations.
Delhi Police in its report to Union Home Ministry said that some "vested interests" had joined the protesters and were instigating violence.
Protesters led by yoga guru Ramdev and former Army chief VK Singh clashed with police at Jantar Mantar, this afternoon when they were prevented from marching towards India Gate.
Aam Aadmi Party`s Arvind Kejriwal and Manish Sisodia sat on a dharna near Hyderabad House on Ashoka Road, close to India Gate. The youth outfit of BJP also took part in the protests.
Dharmendra Kumar disclosed that a former Chief Justice of India will constitute the Commission of Inquiry which will go into the gangrape incident, lapses by police and measures to be taken to ensure safety of women in Delhi and other parts of the country.
The girl was again put on ventilator after doctors at Safdarjung hospital subjected her to various tests as her condition continued to be critical.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars