Delhi gang-rape case: `Police adding fuel to the fire`
New Delhi: The act of the Delhi police of firing tear gas shells and resorting to lathi-charge to disperse thousands of people who had gathered at Raisana Hill here to protest against the gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman has not gone down well with the Bharatiya Janata Party.
Reacting to the issue, BJP`s spokesperson Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi opined: “By lathi-charging and using tear gas shells, they (police) are adding fuel to the fire".
Some students were injured in the police action.
Police first used water cannons to disperse the crowd but as the protesters did not budge, they used tear gas shells and wielded sticks.
Lashing out at the Congress-led UPA Government for using water cannons and baton charging women and youth, Naqvi said the protests were spontaneous reaction of the people, and not a programme organised by any political party or organisation.
"This protest is against the failure of the Delhi Government and outrage over the brutal crime. And if you use tear shells and water cannons and baton charge these youngsters, then I think it will only add fuel to fire. The government is treating the entire issue very casually," said Naqvi.
"The Home Minister begins to move around in a bus as if the criminal would again commit such an offence in a bus," he added, while hitting out at Minister of State for Home RPN Singh.
Amid growing concerns over security on the streets of the national capital during night, RPN Singh travelled in a bus last night to witness the actual scenario.
Naqvi further said the people want that an effective action plan on part of the government should come before the country.
"It is high time that we strengthen the laws in our country," he added, while emphasising that the police and the investigating agencies should be given more power so as to ensure that nobody ever dares to commit such a heinous crime.
There was chaos outside the North Block here this morning as the police resorted to baton charge and used water cannons to dispel the scores of protestors demanding the safety of women.
The girl, who was gang-raped and attacked with an iron rod, is presently being treated at the Safdarjung Hospital here.
(With ANI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof