Delhi gang-rape case: `Police adding fuel to the fire`
New Delhi: The act of the Delhi police of firing tear gas shells and resorting to lathi-charge to disperse thousands of people who had gathered at Raisana Hill here to protest against the gang-rape of a 23-year-old woman has not gone down well with the Bharatiya Janata Party.
Reacting to the issue, BJP`s spokesperson Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi opined: “By lathi-charging and using tear gas shells, they (police) are adding fuel to the fire".
Some students were injured in the police action.
Police first used water cannons to disperse the crowd but as the protesters did not budge, they used tear gas shells and wielded sticks.
Lashing out at the Congress-led UPA Government for using water cannons and baton charging women and youth, Naqvi said the protests were spontaneous reaction of the people, and not a programme organised by any political party or organisation.
"This protest is against the failure of the Delhi Government and outrage over the brutal crime. And if you use tear shells and water cannons and baton charge these youngsters, then I think it will only add fuel to fire. The government is treating the entire issue very casually," said Naqvi.
"The Home Minister begins to move around in a bus as if the criminal would again commit such an offence in a bus," he added, while hitting out at Minister of State for Home RPN Singh.
Amid growing concerns over security on the streets of the national capital during night, RPN Singh travelled in a bus last night to witness the actual scenario.
Naqvi further said the people want that an effective action plan on part of the government should come before the country.
"It is high time that we strengthen the laws in our country," he added, while emphasising that the police and the investigating agencies should be given more power so as to ensure that nobody ever dares to commit such a heinous crime.
There was chaos outside the North Block here this morning as the police resorted to baton charge and used water cannons to dispel the scores of protestors demanding the safety of women.
The girl, who was gang-raped and attacked with an iron rod, is presently being treated at the Safdarjung Hospital here.
(With ANI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'