Delhi gang-rape case: Victim takes a few steps with nurse`s help
New Delhi: Amidst massive furore came a news of relief when the gang-rape victim got off the bed on Saturday evening and took a few steps with the help of a nurse.
Doctors at Safdarjung hospital had earlier announced that the girl is now speaking and is extra-ordinarily stable.
Giving health update, the doctors said that the 23-year-old victim has shown "improvement" and is "psychologically totally balanced", but the danger of infection spreading in her body continues.
"Her WBC (white blood cell) count has improved. It is 2,600… it is better than yesterday. But blood platelet is lower than yesterday (Friday)," BD Athani, the medical superintendent of Safdarjung Hospital, told reporters here. He, however, did not give the blood platelet count.
The normal white blood cell count range is from 4,000 to 11,000. On Friday, the woman`s white blood cell count was1,500 and blood platelet was 61,000.
He said that they are administering platelet rich plasma to the young woman.
The victim is better than yesterday, more alert and is being able to talk.
Doctors said that the young woman has been given sips of water and apple juice since this morning.
"She has improved and is very alert compared to yesterday (Friday). She is active and communicating. She asked for water this morning. Her all parameters are optimum except reduction in platelet count," said another doctor, part of a multi-discipline medical team treating her.
Also, for the first time, she was accessed by a team of psychologists.
"Today, our psychiatry department team led by Dr Kuldip Kumar and Dr Abhilasha Yadav did preliminary psychology profile/assessment of the victim," Athani said.
Explaining about her state, Kumar said: "We followed a sensitive approach to talk to her and preliminary investigations show that she is psychologically composed.”
"She is responding well but it is too early to say anything. She is psychologically extraordinary stable, optimistic and hopes of having a good future," said Kumar, a senior psychiatrist.
"She is very brave and positive and optimistic about her future. Her biological functions are normal and psychologically she is totally balanced and composed," said Yadav.
The doctors also said the level of bilirubin, brownish yellow substance found in bile, has increased to 5.9 from Friday`s 5.1, which is a cause of concern as it could affect functioning of liver. Bile acids are part of the thick liquid called bile that helps the body to digest fats. Bile is produced by the liver, stored in the gallbladder, and released into the small intestine where food is digested.
The victim`s Total Lymphocyte Count (TLC) has come down which means there are chances of infection in her body, which is the worry, doctors added.
"But we are keeping her on high dose of antibiotics and high standards of hygiene," the doctor added. TLC is a test that shows how the immune system is working.
Earlier in the day, police fired tear gas shells and resorted to lathi-charge to disperse thousands of people who had gathered at Raisana Hill to protest against the gang-rape of the in a moving bus on Sunday.
Some students were also injured in the police action.
Police have arrested all the six accused in the case.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM