Delhi gang-rape case: Victim takes a few steps with nurse`s help
New Delhi: Amidst massive furore came a news of relief when the gang-rape victim got off the bed on Saturday evening and took a few steps with the help of a nurse.
Doctors at Safdarjung hospital had earlier announced that the girl is now speaking and is extra-ordinarily stable.
Giving health update, the doctors said that the 23-year-old victim has shown "improvement" and is "psychologically totally balanced", but the danger of infection spreading in her body continues.
"Her WBC (white blood cell) count has improved. It is 2,600… it is better than yesterday. But blood platelet is lower than yesterday (Friday)," BD Athani, the medical superintendent of Safdarjung Hospital, told reporters here. He, however, did not give the blood platelet count.
The normal white blood cell count range is from 4,000 to 11,000. On Friday, the woman`s white blood cell count was1,500 and blood platelet was 61,000.
He said that they are administering platelet rich plasma to the young woman.
The victim is better than yesterday, more alert and is being able to talk.
Doctors said that the young woman has been given sips of water and apple juice since this morning.
"She has improved and is very alert compared to yesterday (Friday). She is active and communicating. She asked for water this morning. Her all parameters are optimum except reduction in platelet count," said another doctor, part of a multi-discipline medical team treating her.
Also, for the first time, she was accessed by a team of psychologists.
"Today, our psychiatry department team led by Dr Kuldip Kumar and Dr Abhilasha Yadav did preliminary psychology profile/assessment of the victim," Athani said.
Explaining about her state, Kumar said: "We followed a sensitive approach to talk to her and preliminary investigations show that she is psychologically composed.”
"She is responding well but it is too early to say anything. She is psychologically extraordinary stable, optimistic and hopes of having a good future," said Kumar, a senior psychiatrist.
"She is very brave and positive and optimistic about her future. Her biological functions are normal and psychologically she is totally balanced and composed," said Yadav.
The doctors also said the level of bilirubin, brownish yellow substance found in bile, has increased to 5.9 from Friday`s 5.1, which is a cause of concern as it could affect functioning of liver. Bile acids are part of the thick liquid called bile that helps the body to digest fats. Bile is produced by the liver, stored in the gallbladder, and released into the small intestine where food is digested.
The victim`s Total Lymphocyte Count (TLC) has come down which means there are chances of infection in her body, which is the worry, doctors added.
"But we are keeping her on high dose of antibiotics and high standards of hygiene," the doctor added. TLC is a test that shows how the immune system is working.
Earlier in the day, police fired tear gas shells and resorted to lathi-charge to disperse thousands of people who had gathered at Raisana Hill to protest against the gang-rape of the in a moving bus on Sunday.
Some students were also injured in the police action.
Police have arrested all the six accused in the case.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt