Delhi gang-rape: Cong top brass meet at PM`s residence
New Delhi: Congress top brass, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi, met this evening amid strong demands for swift action against the perpetrators of the horrific gangrape and assault on the 23-year-old paramedic student.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who cut short his visit to his native Solapur in Maharashtra, was also present at the deliberations of the Congress core group held at the Prime Minister`s residence at 7, Race Course Road here.
Minister of State for Home R P N Singh was also present at the meeting.
The meeting took place in the backdrop of peaceful marches and protests in the capital to mourn the death of the gangrape victim even as parts of Central Delhi were kept out of bounds for people.
Earlier in the day, Gandhi in her televised tributes said the fight of nation`s "beloved daughter" will not go in vain, promising "swift and fitting punishment" to perpetrators as well as stringent laws for women protection.
"As a woman and mother, I understand how you feel. I appeal you to remain calm and help strengthen our collective resolve to fight the menace of violence against women," Gandhi, who is also UPA Chairperson, said.
Breaking his silence on the tragedy, Gandhi`s son and MP Rahul Gandhi called for introspection over the incident and a resolve to ensure the security and dignity of women.
"My heart goes out to the family of the young girl and millions of young Indians, families who work, hope and pray for a better India. We as a nation must reflect on the events of the days gone by," Rahul said, offering his deep condolences to the young girl`s family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling