Delhi gang-rape: Cong top brass meet at PM`s residence
New Delhi: Congress top brass, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi, met this evening amid strong demands for swift action against the perpetrators of the horrific gangrape and assault on the 23-year-old paramedic student.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who cut short his visit to his native Solapur in Maharashtra, was also present at the deliberations of the Congress core group held at the Prime Minister`s residence at 7, Race Course Road here.
Minister of State for Home R P N Singh was also present at the meeting.
The meeting took place in the backdrop of peaceful marches and protests in the capital to mourn the death of the gangrape victim even as parts of Central Delhi were kept out of bounds for people.
Earlier in the day, Gandhi in her televised tributes said the fight of nation`s "beloved daughter" will not go in vain, promising "swift and fitting punishment" to perpetrators as well as stringent laws for women protection.
"As a woman and mother, I understand how you feel. I appeal you to remain calm and help strengthen our collective resolve to fight the menace of violence against women," Gandhi, who is also UPA Chairperson, said.
Breaking his silence on the tragedy, Gandhi`s son and MP Rahul Gandhi called for introspection over the incident and a resolve to ensure the security and dignity of women.
"My heart goes out to the family of the young girl and millions of young Indians, families who work, hope and pray for a better India. We as a nation must reflect on the events of the days gone by," Rahul said, offering his deep condolences to the young girl`s family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends