Delhi gang-rape: Cong top brass meet at PM`s residence
New Delhi: Congress top brass, including Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi, met this evening amid strong demands for swift action against the perpetrators of the horrific gangrape and assault on the 23-year-old paramedic student.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, who cut short his visit to his native Solapur in Maharashtra, was also present at the deliberations of the Congress core group held at the Prime Minister`s residence at 7, Race Course Road here.
Minister of State for Home R P N Singh was also present at the meeting.
The meeting took place in the backdrop of peaceful marches and protests in the capital to mourn the death of the gangrape victim even as parts of Central Delhi were kept out of bounds for people.
Earlier in the day, Gandhi in her televised tributes said the fight of nation`s "beloved daughter" will not go in vain, promising "swift and fitting punishment" to perpetrators as well as stringent laws for women protection.
"As a woman and mother, I understand how you feel. I appeal you to remain calm and help strengthen our collective resolve to fight the menace of violence against women," Gandhi, who is also UPA Chairperson, said.
Breaking his silence on the tragedy, Gandhi`s son and MP Rahul Gandhi called for introspection over the incident and a resolve to ensure the security and dignity of women.
"My heart goes out to the family of the young girl and millions of young Indians, families who work, hope and pray for a better India. We as a nation must reflect on the events of the days gone by," Rahul said, offering his deep condolences to the young girl`s family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30