Delhi gang-rape: Congress hits out at BJP for `outrageous` comments
New Delhi: Congress on Monday hit out at BJP for making "outrageous" comments after the opposition party accused the government of being interested in doing "drama" over the south Delhi gang-rape incident and questioned the "secrecy" maintained on the girl`s cremation.
"BJP is being outrageous. There is no question of doing anything secretly or hurriedly. Nothing was done without the consent of the parents of the girl," party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters at the AICC briefing here.
She said that family members of the girl "did not want public space" for the cremation of the mortal remains of the 23-year-old girl here on Sunday.
"They wanted that moment to be with their child alone. There was a certain dignity in their demand for privacy at that moment," Chowdhary said.
Accusing the government of being interested in performing "drama" over the gangrape issue, BJP leader Sushma Swaraj had earlier disapproved the "covert way" in which the government conducted the cremation.
"We condemn the way the government maintained secrecy regarding the cremation of the girl. If people had known about the venue of cremation what harm would it have done? They kept misguiding us," Swaraj had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP