Delhi gang-rape: Congress hits out at BJP for `outrageous` comments
New Delhi: Congress on Monday hit out at BJP for making "outrageous" comments after the opposition party accused the government of being interested in doing "drama" over the south Delhi gang-rape incident and questioned the "secrecy" maintained on the girl`s cremation.
"BJP is being outrageous. There is no question of doing anything secretly or hurriedly. Nothing was done without the consent of the parents of the girl," party spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary told reporters at the AICC briefing here.
She said that family members of the girl "did not want public space" for the cremation of the mortal remains of the 23-year-old girl here on Sunday.
"They wanted that moment to be with their child alone. There was a certain dignity in their demand for privacy at that moment," Chowdhary said.
Accusing the government of being interested in performing "drama" over the gangrape issue, BJP leader Sushma Swaraj had earlier disapproved the "covert way" in which the government conducted the cremation.
"We condemn the way the government maintained secrecy regarding the cremation of the girl. If people had known about the venue of cremation what harm would it have done? They kept misguiding us," Swaraj had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez