Delhi gang-rape: Cop injured at India Gate dies, family blames public
New Delhi: A Delhi Police constable, who was assaulted by a group of men during the protests against the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl, succumbed to his injuries early Tuesday.
47-year-old Subash Chand Tomar passed away at 6.40 am after attempts to save him failed. He was on ventilator since his admission at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital on Sunday evening.
He was posted in Karawal Nagar area and was called for maintaining law and order at India Gate area during the protests on Sunday.
Tomar, who hails from Meerut, has left behind a wife and three young children. The family is shocked, with his brother blaming the public for the death. “He was brutally assaulted…public killed him,” the deceased’s son said.
“He was just doing his duty, why has he been killed. If they wanted to protest they could have done it peacefully,” Tomar’s brother said.
Tomar, who joined the police in 1987, was found lying injured on Tilak Marg and was rushed to the hospital.
The police had initially booked eight persons – based on video footage of the assault on Tomar - for rioting and attempt to murder. However, all of them were granted bail yesterday.
One of the eight arrested named Chaman Kumar was an active member of Arvind Kejriwal’s Aam Admi Party.
The bail bonds of the eight accused was furnished by Kejriwal’s close aide Manish Sisodia, reports said.
No with the death of Tomar, the police are revisiting the case again and are examining the video footage and other evidence like photos to cancel their bail and book them for murder.
As a mark of respect, the Delhi Police decided that all personnel will donate one day`s salary to Tomar`s family.
Mass protests on Sunday against the gang-rape had left scores injured and turned the India Gate area into a virtual war zone.
Police and paramilitary personnel had liberally used batons and tear gas to chase away thousands after the emotionally charged protests during the day descended into chaos by evening. However, the protest soon turned violent leaving over 140 people, including policemen, injured.
Meanwhile, some metro stations in central Delhi remained shut for the second day today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department