Delhi gang-rape: Cop injured at India Gate dies, family blames public
New Delhi: A Delhi Police constable, who was assaulted by a group of men during the protests against the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl, succumbed to his injuries early Tuesday.
47-year-old Subash Chand Tomar passed away at 6.40 am after attempts to save him failed. He was on ventilator since his admission at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital on Sunday evening.
He was posted in Karawal Nagar area and was called for maintaining law and order at India Gate area during the protests on Sunday.
Tomar, who hails from Meerut, has left behind a wife and three young children. The family is shocked, with his brother blaming the public for the death. “He was brutally assaulted…public killed him,” the deceased’s son said.
“He was just doing his duty, why has he been killed. If they wanted to protest they could have done it peacefully,” Tomar’s brother said.
Tomar, who joined the police in 1987, was found lying injured on Tilak Marg and was rushed to the hospital.
The police had initially booked eight persons – based on video footage of the assault on Tomar - for rioting and attempt to murder. However, all of them were granted bail yesterday.
One of the eight arrested named Chaman Kumar was an active member of Arvind Kejriwal’s Aam Admi Party.
The bail bonds of the eight accused was furnished by Kejriwal’s close aide Manish Sisodia, reports said.
No with the death of Tomar, the police are revisiting the case again and are examining the video footage and other evidence like photos to cancel their bail and book them for murder.
As a mark of respect, the Delhi Police decided that all personnel will donate one day`s salary to Tomar`s family.
Mass protests on Sunday against the gang-rape had left scores injured and turned the India Gate area into a virtual war zone.
Police and paramilitary personnel had liberally used batons and tear gas to chase away thousands after the emotionally charged protests during the day descended into chaos by evening. However, the protest soon turned violent leaving over 140 people, including policemen, injured.
Meanwhile, some metro stations in central Delhi remained shut for the second day today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- 7th Pay Commission: Even ‘good performance’ not good enough for salary hike, promotion
- Busy bee Nargis Fakhri dusts down rumours, looking forward to promote 'Banjo'!
- Pakistan's Hafiz Saeed managed the ISIS attack in Kabul that killed 80 people?
- The list of top 10 most valuable football clubs is out – See here!
- Watch Video: BlackBerry DTEK50, the world's most secured Android smartphone